Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help looking for XP drivers for Gateway MT6834b

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxter

Technical User
Nov 13, 2007
GB
I bought a Gateway 2 Months ago, Model No: MT 6834b which came with MS Vista. I decided to format besause of and revert back up XP pro because of software issues. First, it wouldn't boot up telling I had no hard-drive.....Eventually, I installed XP by taking my wife's Gateway disc from a diferent laptop which is running XP. Went in ok, but had more problems with things like Sound card, Display, Lan etc. contacted Gateway but not much help... So I re-installed Vista....... Was thinking seriously of buying myself another Labtop just to get XP back...

Any feedback would be greagful

Thanks in advance

There's a lot of info here:

thread602-1376645

and here:

thread602-1421548

Best of luck!

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

Also, one of the reasons you couldn't get the hard drive seen by XP is that it's probably a SATA HDD, you need to go into BIOS and look for "SATA options" or the like, choose "use as standard IDE" or "compatibility mode". This is all you need to do to get started. As for speed, a single IDE vs SATA won't matter much if at all.

As you can see my "De-Vistafying Gateway" post from June has been quite active (120+ posts) in forum602 and while it's a lot to read there's probably all you need to know in there. If not, add to it and I'll do my best to help.

Tony

wahnula, just tried it. can see the SATA Drive in there but it's not allowing me to change it. it's darkened out (if u know wot i mean). Looked at other option within the Bios and can't find any other opions. I got my hopes up too. Damn, guess i'll be sticking with this poxy Vista for a while or untill they release drivers. Anyway, thanks 4 ur help

It's possible to slipstream SATA drivers into XP using nLiteOS and/or other tools. Google "slipstream SATA drivers XP" and you'll see what I mean. You just need the XP SATA drivers for that chipset.

Tony

Didn't you have XP installed, as per the first post, by using your Wife's CD? To get that far, the hard drive must have been recognized by XP. Can you clarify that.

Hi Linney, We are both using a Gateway machine. My labtop which I bought 2 months ago came with Vista. My wife's Labtop which she bought 8 months ago came with XP. I thought by using her CD that came along with her machine might have worked, nearly did too! Installed ok but wouldn't reconized some hardware like my netcard, sound, video card etc... It's been a pain in the ass really and i regret not holding on to my Toshiba Sat where i could load on anything i wanted! To be honest, i do like my Gateway machine and it's fast too. The only problem is.... want XP Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back