Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Installing Win2k Server on Proliant Ml530

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beertjie

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2003
NA
Hi,

Need urgent help installing Win2K Server on a Proliant ML530, 120 GB HDD (4x30GB SCSI), 3 GB Memory. Whenever I install it,
it just freezes after the initial boot during setup at the
"Wait for Windows Server to Start" screen.

Please, I will appreciate any kinda help
Tx

What's the boot log say?
Can you get to SM, or SM command prompt?

Not sure what is dying for certain. Could be a Mass Storage controller issue. Boot log should tell more.

Hi Uutah007,

I've tried booting it up with SM Command Prompt, but it loads the files only up to <sup.sys> and then it reboots.

When I tried to boot it up with just SM, it freezes at the &quot;Windows 2000 Server&quot; screen. Just a reminder that the installation was never completed, I am still struggling to finish the installation.

You have to run hardware diagnostics first.. or did you add a new hardware other than the default on the compaq server? If it is remove it or try disabling NIC on the CMOS as a start for troubleshooting.. it seems like this is a trial and error case.

Ricpinto, Hi

How do I run the hardware diagnostics? And I haven't added anything to the default server. Any further ideas?

Have you made sure that everything inside the box is seated correctly. Also if the server has a RIB in it, check that it is in the right slot (Compaqs website will be able to tell you that) and if it is remove it.

can you see &quot;Press F10 ... &quot; b4 the booting of the OS. If it is press it and you can find the diagnostics there.. choose quick test.

Alternatively download it from HP.com. The file can be extracted into a diskette. Boot from it and do the diagnostics.

Mr. Tickle,
There is no RIB installed, and the memory modules and cpu are seated correctly. What else can you suggest?

ricpinto,
I ran the diagnostics, and everything is working fine. How can I get into the CMOS? Anything else?

Is the server a G2, G3 ML530?? What Array Controller are you using?? Disk config?? SmartStart Assisted build or a manual???

You MUST use Smart start otherwise you will be having RAID SCSI issues.

MUST MUST.

If it still doesnt work after uve done that-- youve either assembled the server incorrectly or youve a hardware problem-either way ring Compaq MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

Good point on the Smartstart. If anything, also go to Compaq's site and drill in to the drivers section. They usually have some sort of special installation procedure to go by so you don't encounter this type of problem. Like updating RAID drivers, bios, etc etc.

ps i really hope they are all compaq *cough* HP parts or else u can kiss your guarantee goodbye already MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back