Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help in Table Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shantha

Programmer
Jun 12, 2002
IN
Hi,

My requirement is to collect metrics from database/ datawarehouse environment and publish it.

A master table with the below structure will hold the required information:

Metrics Master
==============

Metrics Id
Metrics Name
Query

The query will contain the select query which would be executed dynamically by a procedure and collect the resultant.

The query & the number of columns would vary from metrics to metrics...

Now require help in designing transaction table which would hold the data collected by dynamically executing the query...

Metrics Transaction
====================
Metrics Transaction Id
Metrics ID
Col1_value
Col2_value
:
:
Coln_value

Where 'n' would be the maximum no of columns available in all of the designed metrics

I found that this design is not so good. Does anyone have any better suggestion or any other alternative design to suit

Thanks,
Shantha.

Not for all metrics, but for few we want the data to be stored in the db to do some trend analysis.

Thanks,
Shantha.

Talent is what you possess;
genius is what possesses you

It might be better...
[tt]
Metrics Transaction
================
Metrics Transaction ID
Metrics ID
FieldName
FieldValue
[/tt]

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I suppose you could use something on the lines of:

Metrics_Transaction_ID
Metrics_ID
Col_Name
Row_Name
Cell_value

However, if it is only for a few metrics to be used in trend analysis, I suspect the best thing to do would be to create tables for each of them, so that the data can be appended.

Hi Remou,

What row_name indicates?

Thanks,
Shantha.

Talent is what you possess;
genius is what possesses you

I do not know what your queries return but a crosstab is possible so it may be necessary to store Column 1 values as row names for ease of retrieval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back