Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help in finding a package that can hamdle multiple hops

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdespres

MIS
Aug 4, 1999
US
I'm on the lookout for a package to help me manage multiple unix systems from Ubuntu on my PC. for about 15 Solaris systems. I cannot communicate to all systems directly!

I can perform multiple hops via one command to get to the systems I don't have direct access to...

Is there a application out there that can help?

Thanks....

Joe Despres

Oh yeah... Thats handle. One of these days I will learn how to type!

Joe Despres

When you say can't communicate directly, do you mean that they are on a private LAN behind a firewall? Are you looking for SSH or VPN?

SSH has the capability of acting as a pass-through proxy to allow seamless connections to internal hosts. I haven;t used it (I just ssh from one to the next) otherwise I would give you some details.

I belive Norway2 is refering to local port forwarding with shh

the command is of the format
Code:
ssh -L local:address:dest user@remoteserver

local is a port you will use on your local PC
dest is the port you need to connect to on the remopte pc
Address is the address of the pc you wish to administer.
once this has been setup connecting to port local on local host will actualy connect to port dest on address via an ssh tunnel through remote server, address does not need to be reachable form your local machine only reachable from remote server.

I often use this technique to browse through web-proxy on my home pc to ensure my data is encripted if I am in a public hotspot.
using this aproach means i only need the one secure port open on my firewall for ssh

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

I can hop nodes using ssh....

What I'm looking for is a program that I can use to automate my connections...

Wither they are direct connects or access only via another system...

Thanks...

Joe Despres

If we understand correctly, SSH may be able to do the job, as IPGuru said. I run something similar to access RDP on several systems in a small office I support.

Only one system has inbound access through SSH. When I connect in, I establish several tunnels to other systems. The office uses DHCP with reservations, so the address of the supported machines remains static.

Outbound tunnel Port 5900 connects to remote localhost:5900.
Outbound tunnel Port 5901 connects to remote x.x.x.101:5900.
Outbound tunnel Port 5902 connects to remote x.x.x.102:5900.
Outbound tunnel Port 5903 connects to remote x.x.x.103:5900.
and so on

Then I tell my RDP client to connect to localhost:59xx and it brings up the desktop I need, with only one encrypted port open from the supported office to the outside world, on a secure connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back