Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help in buying new computer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
My old computer just cannot handle my business needs anymore so I need to get a new one. From my research, I know I want/need these specs:

Athlon 900
256 MB
30 GB
DVD Rom
CD-RW

And the standard modem, sound card, grahphic card, etc.

I will be using this computer for business applications, and graphic work. Can someone help me find a reputable computer company? In my research so far, it seems that every company has people that love/hate them. So how do I find a good system for a good price? How does one find a computer that is highly rated, but also comes from a company that is highly rated. I do not wish to put one together myself. Just not enough time. So any recommendations from anyone? If you cannot mention namebrands in this forum, please email me with your suggestions.

Thanks.
Jeanie
Jeanie006@netscape.net

well, from my experiences, buying a computer locally is the best way to go, unless you fully know the company your buying from. Buying off the internet can be a big pain in the butt. For one, shipping and handling is usually quite high, and two, you usually know nothing about the person/company your buying from. Also, if you get a damaged computer, you have to ship it back yourself, and that can also be very frustrating. Buying off the internet is not always bad however, I do a lot of shopping off the net. I am currently building anew system, and have found a lot of companies quite helpful. But if i were to buy a whole computer, which includes the computer (case, power supply, motherboard, cpu, video card, sound card, memory, hardrive, floppy disk, etc....), a moniter, a keyboard, mouse, you get the idea. Anyways, if i were to buy all that, I would try and look for good deals on some local company. I try to stay away from some of the bigger merchants such as radio shack, circuit city, etc.... Although, computer shows seem to be nice, just make sure you buy it early in the show, so you have enough time to take it back if it doesnt work. :)

Another thing, GET A WARRANTEE FOR THE COMPUTER!!! That is absolutely the best policy in my eyes. That way, if you buy something that is all screwed up, you can get it fixed, free of charge. Computer repairmen usually run high prices because they know that they can.

Well, sorry I do not have enough time to help you find a computer, but try looking around locally before you try shopping the internet. :)

- Rusty

If it's an Athlon you want then I would recommend Gateway. Dell makes some pretty good systems but I think they only offer Intel chips. estesflyer makes a good point about shipping and warranties. The town I live in has a Gateway store, so if something were to break you can bring it there and have it fixed without paying for a shipping fee. I would stay away from Compaq as a general rule, just due to my experiences with them. Also, often times internet based companies can set you up with a decent price if you buy at the right time. Local companies can be good too but I don't know if they always offer warranties. Just my 2 cents. Justin

Feel free to email me at:
beckham@mailbox.orst.edu

"3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population."

Good advice from estesflyer! I would not recommend Dell/Gateway for the same reasons as above, and also many parts are "special" limiting upgrades and serviceability, althought they are decent machines. Again, buy local from a reputable dealer (no flea markets!)

Having supported a very high official with 50,000 + workers my choice is DELL. Sony, Micron, and Compaq tech support is the worst. With the 3 year on site warranty, Dell has someone there to fix your problem in 24 hours.

They cost more but you get what you pay for.

Best of luck,
Jennifer

I would have to agree with estesflyer. I ran a Computer Shop in Indiana for 3 years. You can go to them with want you want and what you want to do and they will build it for you. Now a local shop will sometimes be a bit higher for their systems,BUT...

1) There is no shipping.
2) The service center is right there near you.
3) The shop is there and you can go to them WHENEVER you have a problem.
4) Since it is LOCAL your money stays in the area.

A local shop (Just look in the phone book for computer stores) Will always try to beat or come close to a national chain. I like local shops for I dont have to deal with shipping or call tags (for onsite service). I can just take my PC to them to fix if I needed to (I do all my own repair).

But as always I am a little BIASED and its just my opinion. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Estesflyer and Butchrecon apparently know their stuff. I'd go with them. Every day above ground is a GOOD DAY!!!

I don't go after the brand of computers in the market. Some companies try to under-rate their supposedly good combination of hardwares. I have experienced such an acceptable deed by most of the shops here in the ME. Your choice of hardware seems right but my suggestion to you is to read some PC Mags that tells which motherboard is right for your choice of Processor. If you are going to do the some graphic designs, don't forget to ask for 128MB of memory chips or even higher. Computers nowadays are running at 133Mhz FSB (Frontside Bus), so even your memory chips should have that kind specs. Remember, you are the customer so you should get what you require for your PC. Salesmen are very influencial!
There are many things to consider when buying a computer. I forgot the brand and model of the motherboard which I think is right for your choiced processor. I'm very sorry for that but anyway I wish you the best. I'm very far from my home to get some of my notes for you.

It really amazes me. All these people talking about the AMD motherboards and chips. I could not tell you how many posts I have read about AMD chips and motherboards having problems getting started. Saw a post about trying serveral different ram types to get them to work on a AMD chip. The other guys at the office all have had or still have problems with their systems. Me, I have a PIII and NEVER had a lick of problems out of them. Also, majority of my clients also have Intel chips and most have no problem with the motherboards, chips or ram. If you must get a cheaper processor and motherboard, then you get what you pay for IMHO. Really, most people say if they get them up and running correctly, the AMD chips preform pretty well, but not for me. When I put my stuff together, I want it to work, don't want to keep taking parts back to a depot until I get some that work together. JMHO.

I agree with most of the previous advice. Just a couple more things to keep in mind. If you buy local, have a system custom built for your needs. Spend time shopping around and check for best service agreement. When you go into a shop the first question you should be asked is what you want to do with the system. If they try to sell you a system without asking for specific needs, go elsewhere.
If you shop online, Dell offers custom-built systems with excellent support. Stay away from buying from computer shows unless you are very sure from whom you are buying.
If you decide to go with an Athlon chip, go to their website and check their list of approved and tested boards.
a. Take your time looking.
b. Research what parts that are recommended.
c. Be ready to spend a little more for good service and quality parts.

Lisa Merchant
L&M Computer Services

DeanSpencer, I used to feel the same way about Intel untill I tried to upgrade my PIII 500 to a PIII 800. I went through 3 CPU's, 4 MainBoards, Power Supply, HardDrive, 3 sticks of SDRAM, 2 VideoCards, formatted and tried to reload, even a power cord(stranger things have happened). All of the above was at the advice of Intel Tech Support. They finally told me that my OS was the problem. Windows 2000.
I was fed up, so I took it back and got an AMD Athlon 1000mhz for the same price. I had to change the memory to get it to work (and mainboard of course) but I haven't had any trouble out of it since. I guess Intel just put a bad taste in my mouth, but they also got their last dollar out of my pocket!!!!! Every day above ground is a GOOD DAY!!!

Look at FAQ faq602-788

It covers this very topic. Basically it comes down to user experience and preference. Everyone is different and have their own likes and opinions. When choosing between Intel and AMD just go with what feels comfortable to you. Fighting over which is better is ultimately counter productive to what the original post was intended for. :-( James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

You might try this is an on line Computer seller that has everything, the cool part is you can build your system yourself on line (pictures of everything including the memory chips) you can change it price it, call and talk to someone about it and then erase the whole thing and start over. I bought a complete system last year 3/28/00 I put it together myself ( let them do it) I mean motherboard in the case the chip the memory and when I finshed it would not work! I called they offered help and said hey sent it back here's the return number. I disasemmbled it, then said heck give it another shot and it has been working like a champ ever since. I got the case, the Asus Appolo Pro Intel III 733MHZ 256 SDram, the rest I bought at Buy.Com which has the best price best service. Good Luck

hrmm...

I have nothing to say when it comes to amd vs pentium. Both are not bad.

Gah, cant hold it in... must tell others...

cnet.com ran a test. an amd t-bird 1.2ghz vs a p4 1.5 ghz.
Evidentally, the 1.2ghz blew the 1.5 ghz in all tests ran.

As for people complaining how their pentium system not working, and sayign that their athlon did, and people saying that their athlon system wasnt working, and their pentium system did, you musnt forget that all amd / pentium products arent made in the same countries, or at the same time and/or exact same way. I recently got a bad 1ghz amd t-bird chip. Made me mad. 155 bucks is a lot of money to lose, especially when the retailer doesnt offer warranties for bad chips they send you that burn out, even if you have normal proper cooling. :)

but nuff bout that. My point is, amd would be out of business if all of their products did not work, and same for pentium.

Now that i'm through w/ that point, lets move back to what jeenie was talking about - trying to get a new computer. One that is fast enough for what she needs.

Another reccomendation of mine, is to get a system that performs a little bit better than what you need. That way, when updated/newer programs come out that you DO need, you will have quite a bit more time to use your system.

I know a few people that own gateway systems, some people say they are good, and have no problems, others say their comps are no better than a giant object used to help hold down the house during a tornado.
If you must go with a brand name computer, I would personally go with dell. One of my friends, dropped a brand new laptop taking it out of the box. He totally cracked the screen, and more than likely had quite a number of other cracked items. He called dell, got an rma number, shipped it back on friday, and dell replaced his comp, and shipped it back to him on monday, AND paid for his shipping expenses. Now I call that good service.
But dont drop em just to make them angry. :)

Like i somewhat pointed out earlier, try and find a vendor that has been in the area for a while. Just dont forget about the warrantee.

well, that is as far as i can help you. But you prolly stopped reading this post immediately after you started it. :)

No worries, I dont mind conversing with other "tek-tip'ers"

- Rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back