Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help importing sprites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolshoi

Programmer
Nov 26, 2006
US
I've started learning flash, and thought I would start by working with sprites, because I'm a terrible artist. My problem is I can't find a way to import the sprite without getting a square background behind the sprite that I can't get rid of. Does anyone know how to copy and paste/import a sprite without the background?

You'll always have a box around an object like a graphic. It's the bounding box.
What I've found to work is to first import the graphic into Photoshop and create a new image that has a transparent background layer and only the thing that is my image on a second layer. That is to say I import the original graphic and erase all the black (or whatever color) that is surrounding what I want to use as the sprite.

so;
1) import graphic into photoshop (or other graphics program)
2) use the magic wand to select the image (or erase all the extra stuff)
3) copy the image to a new layer
4) delete the original layer
5) create a new blank transparent layer as the background layer.
6) save as a new gif.

This way when you import the sprite into flash and apply a filter (like glow or something) the glow is around the picture itself not the bounding box.

Hope this helps rather than hinders.
Dave

Thanks for the advice guys, but I think I found something that works.

I just had to make a new image with a single sprite and import that. Transparent background, of course. Thanks anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back