Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help identifying part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlayneRTFM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
CA
This part comes from a Gateway MS2266 (id5815h) laptop. The connector was melted along with a ribbon cable right next to it. I am wondering if anybody can tell me what it is for and where I can get a replacement connector for it. Based on the location of where it sits in the laptop - right on the inside of the faceplate above the keyboard - I thought it might be secondary speakers, like surround speakers for a 5.1 surround system or something. But the names on the board are confusing. In case you can't read them, they say:
DATA
VDD
CLK
GND
Beside each circular part is U1 & U2.
Is there a website that sells laptop computer components such as ribbon cables and connectors? I can't seem to find one. Also wondering if there is a good place to download service manuals that don't want to charge for them.

Thanks.

IMG_0197-1.jpg

A quick search by me turns up too many matches. But, the bigger question is WHY did it melt in the first place. You should answer that before replacing it. Might just happen immediately again.

The reason why it melted was over heating cpu caused by clogged fan and dried out heatsink compound. Both have been remedied and the system is running without issue for 8 hours now. No over heating so far and no apparent damage to cpu or video chip. I would just like to know what this component is to see if client wants to bother replacing it or use it as is. If it's some kind of censor for temp or other important function then I would like to know how to find a replacement.

Thanks.

Is there no information sticker or printed on the back of it? Not random numbers that could be the part number? Does this part come with the touchpad/top bezel if purchased?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I've tried searching everything it says on the sticker but - no joy. All it says is:
SJM50
SUNMOWING
10/03/15

Also tried finding the entire hinge cover hoping it would include the component attached but haven't been able to find one for this model.

Thanks.

The 23.xxxxx.xxx is your part number. It's a rarity that I can't even find a trace of a part on the internet. It is hard to even find a trace of the laptop outside of a power adapter and keyboard. Might be a easier idea to go with a USB audio adapter to rectify the issue since this is going to be a tricky one.

This is the laptop, correct:
Go to the Gateway support website and enter its Serial and see if around the drivers and download section it has a manual of any usefulness. It is possible it could have an exploded view which might lead to more info on the part.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

It took a while, but I finally figured it out. The part is for two built-in stereo microphones. Finally got windows 7 installed after many hours of burn-in testing to make sure cpu and video are good. I could then go through each device in device manager and check for working state. Got to the microphone and it says the mic is connected but, obviously its not as there is no audio input unless I plug in external mic.

Of course now that I know the exact name for it, I find a ton of info on it and a couple of places that have it used. Ugh!

Thanks for the suggestions DrBOb.

It took a while, but I finally figured it out. The part is for two built-in stereo microphones. Finally got windows 7 installed after many hours of burn-in testing to make sure cpu and video are good. I could then go through each device in device manager and check for working state. Got to the microphone and it says the mic is connected but, obviously its not as there is no audio input unless I plug in external mic.

Of course now that I know the exact name for it, I find a ton of info on it and a couple of places that have it used. Ugh!

Thanks for the suggestions DrBOb.

Glad you got it figured out, knew it was some type of audio device. Hopefully all this was worth it and the customer wants you to replace it.
Best of luck with the rest of the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back