Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Identifying Modem and Obtain a Windows Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiputc

Programmer
Jul 24, 2008
Hello.

I need help in identifying a modem. Recently a friend of mine, a computer store owner, gave this 1x CDMA modem away to me (old stock) and now I want to utilize it.

However, the modem has no model number or even any brand name associated with it, and it doesn't have a driver CD.

I have attached a picture of the modem. If anyone has seen or owned a modem like this, please contact me and if you don't mind, please send me a copy of the driver CD.

Please don't tell me to go to driverguide.com because I've been there and it couldn't help me, and please don't tell me to use Linux because most of my work is on Windows.

Thank you in advance.

Impressively enough, I may have found it.

CDMA PC003 Modem

not much there except a model number.

Maybe its enough to find something at Driverguide or some other Driver Site.

Does Windows recognize it as anything when its plugged in?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Hi, thanks for replying.

Yes I ran into the same website a month ago when I began searching for the driver. No luck there, it's been a dead end. Perhaps today my luck is somewhat higher.

Windows recognizes it merely as a "USB Device", then asks for the driver. Not helping either.

I probably could have easily bought a new modem, but this modem mystery itches my brain so much I want to scratch it.

go to Belarc.com
install their analyzer program
run it and it may be able to identify it for you or
go to Qualcomm and see if the can help

a little info
CDMA: CDMA, or Code Division Multiple Access, is another digital alternative to the analog AMPS (Advanced Mobile Phone System). CDMA was introduced by Qualcomm three months after TDMA was accepted as the standard. After two years of testing, CDMA was finally accepted as a second standard. CDMA works under a principle that has been used in military satellites for decades. Each conversation is granted a certain code- many conversations can be sent over the same spectrum at the same time with the receiving units decoding which information is directed to them. This is often compared to discerning a conversation in one's native language in a jumble of conversations in other languages. CDMA allows 4.4 trillion of these codes, assuring that different callers on different systems can use the same spectrum at the same time. CDMA utilizes spread-spectrum technology, meaning that conversations are spread across wide segments of the cellular broadcast spectrum. This helps avoid problems in busy areas and in hilly areas where reflected signals can cause problems.

Spread spectrum technology is also the means by which codes can be attached to communications. Each bit is expanded into some number of "chips." Thus, data transmission requires much more bandwidth, requiring much of the available spectrum. Many conversations can be transmitted over the same spectrum, however. The transmitter multiplies each bit by a "key" and transmits the multi-chip result. The receiver receives these chips as well as those of all other conversations transmitted over the spectrum. The receiver multiplies this combined signal by the appropriate key, takes the sum, and is able to determine which bit is appropriate. Because different signals can be transmitted over the same spectrum, CDMA allows 10 to 20 times as many conversations to occur on a system than AMPS. CDMA technology nearly eliminates many common cellular problems related to overcrowding, such as busy signals, dropped calls, and cross-talk. Also, CDMA's voice encoding allows for the reduction of background noise., CDMA transmission occurs at power levels 1/25 to 1/1000 those of AMPS or TDMA. This allows lighter portable phones with longer battery life. CDMA's digital control channel allows the demands for mobile fax, data transmission, and caller-ID as well.

Another thing to try would be a Google search by chipset number. Look closely at the large chipset on the modem card and you will probably see a reference number. For example, one I have in front of me right now shows this:-

CONEXANT HSFi CX11252-11

I believe you can also see the chipset numbers on the Driverguide website.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back