Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

javashackgirl

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
US
hi. i'm LOST!!!! i assume i have to download Perl in order to get this script to work on our website. i've tried to download it, but i don't have a compiler, and i can't seem to find one that doesn't need a compiler. i'm quite a novice at this (obviously!). how do i get this to work?

What kind of server is your websites host?
Windows or *nix?

--jim

I'll give a few tips about perl...

-First, Perl is a scripting language. You won't ever need to compile it.

-Second, If the script is on a web server (being hosted by some one else) you'll have to see if they have perl set up to allow you to use it. (Some web hosting packages don't allow the use of scripting)

-If the machine is your's (or you have direct access) you'll need to make sure your http server is set up to utilize perl (you'll need to read the documentation for your server software)

-If you're running on a Windoze machine you can download ActivePerl from ActiveState (activestate.com) to run the scripts (This comes in handy when debugging scripts)

If you have any other questions please post them!
I'm sure others (as well as myself) wouldn't mind helping you out.

~tmasman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back