Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help getting SonicWall Global Client to connect thru Linksys rtr

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnrenton

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
US
Help! I can connect my PC via SonicWall VPN Global client if I go directly thru my cable modem. However, if I try to connect behind a Linksys router (WRT54GS or BEFVP41 V2) I have trouble. Here's what happens: I can establish a proper "connect" when I start the SonicWall Global VPN Client. But when I try to go online (Roaming Desktop) to link up to the VPN server the Internet Explorer just hangs followed by a "Cannot find server" page. This only happens when I'm behind the Linksys router. I've tried just about everything. Any ideas?

SUCCESS!
For any who ever run across this problem here's what appears to work:
#1 Change the IP address of the router
#2 Enable ports 50,51 and 500

newer linksys firmware allows ipsec passthru, which will accomplish the same thing.

why did you have to change the ip address of the router?

The router is new and does support IPSEC passthru. Changing the Router IP address was the variable that allowed the VPN to work. Apparently the standard linksys ip address 192.168.1.1 can conflict with other network router ip's on the other end of the vpn tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back