Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help fixing Seagate SCSI drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnavarrojr

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
US
We have a new Dell server and the primary hard drive failed (wouldn't spin up). Dell replaced the drive, but the old drive still has our data. They don't do data recovery and most of the companies we contacted want $500 to "look" at the drive and around $1600 to recover the data.

We want the data, but it's not worth $2100 (not to mention, WAY out of our budget).

The drive is a Seagate Cheetah ST318406LW SCSI. We found two more brand new drives on the net for $180 each. We sent one back to Dell as the "dead" drive and the other is for moving the data platter from the old drive.

First, I fired up the new drive and made sure that it worked (it does). Then, in as clean an environment as I could arrange, I CAREFULLY moved the data platter from the old drive to the new drive.

The new drive spins up okay, but it returns an error at boot saying "ASYNC error, could not start up drive".

My question is... Do I need to "reset" anything in the drive? Perhaps when you crack it open, a condition is set that requires some kind of hardware or firmware reset.

Any help would be very helpful.

Thanks!

--Dave

If the business has insurance it may pay for Ontrack to restore the data.

Their insurance does not cover data recovery. The owner only carries the minimum necessary by law (as a non-profit).

I've successfully used this technique in the past to recover data on IDE drives, but this is my first go with a SCSI drive. So I don't know what's different about the drive that it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back