Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help - Ethernet Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecm28

Technical User
May 16, 2005
US
I really need help with this. I have windows xp home. I am trying to print to a hp laserjet 5000n through ethernet. The way I need this hooked up is through a hub. The hub I am using is a DLink DE-809TC. Right now I have the printer connected direct to the hub, when i hook up the ethernet from the pc to the hub also there is no communication. I have two macintosh computers hooked as well and they print fine through hub. My lack of knowledge on the pc network is got me in a pinch. I have unplugged both of the macs from the hub and tried just the pc and nothing. I connected the pc direct to the network card on the hp laserjet and nothing. I am confused that the macs will print and the pc does not. I have taken the ethernet cable i am using from the pc and hooked up to the mac to make sure the cable was not bad and it worked.

Thank you in advance

Did you use the HP Install Network Printer Wizard on the PC, You are in the "plug&pray" environ of the PC.
Shoukd have been on the CD with the printer or at HP downloads.

Run it and the PC will know where the printer is.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

when i hook up the ethernet from the pc to the hub also there is no communication.
No communication to what? The hub or the printer? If you are not getting communication from the hub then how are you confirming that? Have you checked the NIC on the back of the PC (where the ethernet plugs in) to see if your led is lit? Is your hub a router/hub or just a hub?

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Badfrog, It is just a hub, the ethernet light is on in the back, i should have been more clear on communication. The local area connection is not deactivated when I have it plugged into the hub, it acts if it can not see the hp printer, meaning, go to print and it just sits in the print dialog box and then errors.

Ok. If its just a hub you will have to configure an IP address for the PC to be identified on the network, the pritner will need to be configured with an IP address as well. I'm pretty sure both will need to be static. There may be some other things you need to do in order to get communication but I'm a little sketchy on the exact details. I've always used routers for the ease of DHCP. I'm sure some others here can chime in and help out. Once you get the IP configured and you can successfully ping the printers IP address, then you should be able to follow rvnguys instructions with no problms. Best of luck!

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

I printed out a config page, and it had a ip, subnet, dhcp server. Do I need to go into the tcp/ip under general and put all three ip in or just the dhcp, or am i way off track?

Well most likely those are just default values. If your not familiar with tcp/ip networking you may want to post this in the networking forum to get better visibility/help. You will need to manually input IP address's while paying close attention to subnets, gateways, and such. As I said earlier I'm not strong enough in this area to guide you and would likely only confuse you more.

Another option would be to purchase the hub with the built in router/firewall and then just plug and pray, but who wants to spend more money huh?

Albert Einstein

Right on, thanks for all your help

Your welcome, hope you get it worked out. When you post in the tcp/ip forum you should link this thread to save yourself some typing/explaining.

Albert Einstein

if you run the setup from the install disc that comes with the printer it should give you the option to install as a networked printer which will search for the pritner, fingers crossed find it and setup a TCP/IP printer port on your PC for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back