Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Desperately! & Quickly: Mouse won't load

Status
Not open for further replies.

egims

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
US
I need my computer to work and unless I can get this problem solved quickly I have big trouble. I need help as quickly as possible.

Here is the problem:
The mouse has always worked fine but just stopped functioning this morning. It was quite a challenge getting to this board and posting by the keypad.

Facts:
1) The mouse works fine in safe mode.
2)I went into the system settings where the mouse was flagged. The message read as follows:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the file [vmouse.vxd] that loads the drivers for the device (code 8.) To fix the problem, run Windows Setup again using your Windows CD-ROM."

3) I checked the driver file details which read:

c:\windows\vmouse.vxd
c:\windows\system\msmouse.vxd
c:\windows\system\mouse.drv

4) I checked to see if the above files were actually present on my computer - they were all there.

5) As instructed in #2 above I re-installed Windows 98 from the CD-ROM. The install went fine but the mouse still didn't work. No change in the error message. I installed Windows 98 two more times with no better results.

6) Even though the mouse works fine in safe mode I checked it on another maching. I verified it works fine and is not the mouse.

7) There are no conflicts with any other devices showing in the system settings. The mouse is the only thing not functioning fine.

8) It has always worked fine in the past.

9) I do not have a virus.

PLEASE HELP! Anyone who may have a solution or a thought, it will be greatly appreciated. But I need help quickly becuase I can not work this way.

Thanks in advance.

Error Code 8 = Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Did you remove those 3 driver files using DOS before you ran Setup again? One or all of them could be damaged or corrupt.

You could go to the mfr. web site and download new drivers and re-install them.

Both of these tactics would be challenging using keystrokes only.

Thanks to all!

I would like to thank everyone who posted to help me solve this problem. I would also like to thank Zed, who emailed me directly.

The problem is now solved. I hope everyone had a great three day weekend.

Kind Regards,

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back