Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help configuring SQL 2005 w/ Mgt. Studio Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopacfan

Programmer
Oct 30, 2000
US
I've been out of the loop for the last few years building an online business and it seems that working with SQL is a lot different than it used to be. I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to add a new database to SQL. Back in the days of 2000, I would just connect with the management console and create a new database. With Management Studio Express '05, it seems everything I used to know is no longer applicable.

I did figure out how to create a new server registration but from there, I'm dead in the water. I cannot figure out how to start the new "server". I'm not even sure if creating a new registration was the thing to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is just so different that I'm completely lost.

A registration is not necessary for a connection. After making a connection, that connection does not automatically appear/load/reside in a registration.

So far, it appears that SSMS takes the place of both Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer.

You'll notice that Stored Procedures are not listed directly under the db name any longer, but under "Programability". What is nicer with SSMS is that modifying stored procedures is easier.

The defaults for where your snippets and templates are different, and the default location for the MDF and LDF files are no longer under c:\mssql\.

Although it looks a little different the T-SQL Help seems to be the same, though there's no notation anywhere about what commands and variables are retired from previous versions. You would think there would be a grid of that with SQ2K, SQL2K5, SQL2K8 and SQL Azure being the banner points.

So how can I create a new database? I need to install MS Dynamics GP and it's asking for a sql server to which it will create the ODBC connection and database. I am completely stuck.

When you installed SQL Server, did you install the database engine? Or are you trying to connect to a SQL Server instance on another computer/server?

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back