Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help configuring MMDF for mail on SCO Unix 5.0.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy6

Technical User
Jun 24, 2012
US
Currently trying to configure MMDF to send mail, not recieve. The server has DNS lookup setup and working properly. The test emails I have sent are rejected due to not following local ISP rules on bypassing their mail server:554 5.7.1 - ERROR: Mail Refused

Tried to add a smart host for the mail to be sent to in mmdf configuration in forwarding. Rule is now set but still gives the same error when sending email.

From: "mycompany.com MMDF Mail System" <mmdf@mycompany.com>
Sender: mmdf@mycompany.com
Subject: Failed mail (msg.aa13355)
To: root@mycompany.com
Message-ID: <201206201413.aa13400@hmycompnay.com>

Your message could not be delivered to
'myuser@ctc.net (host: ctc.net) (queue: smtp)'
for the following reason:
554 5.7.1 - ERROR: Mail Refused - <XXX.82.195.248> - See /query/bl?ip=XXX.82.195.248

Are you able to send email from that same IP using Outlook or some other device? The message in your post would indicate that the IP address has been flagged by Spamhaus.
If so, I don't think you can resolve this by reconfiguring MMDF.

If that's not the case, and you only need outbound email, I would check out some other mail sending Client. I've used "sendEmail" with good success. It's easy to configure in a script.

MMDF itself is an old friend, but hasn't been used for years here because it was too difficult to keep it secure. Your server might have been used as an unwitting mail relay, which would result it it being flagged by Spamhaus. Been there, done that. Gave up on MMDF.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Well I switched over to sendmail and this SCO box is running on another site but using the SAME ISP provider of another SCO box that has sendmail configured and working. The new box is not sending mail. It takes a long time to get any response in mail and it says the mail is delayed and will stop trying to send after 4 days. The DNS is setup and working properly, I have the smart host setup too. I am not sure what tests I can do to ping point the actual problem. The test I have done is mail -s "test" anymail.net </usr/adm/syslog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back