Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help - collect survey data 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tresanus

Technical User
Oct 7, 2007
US
I need to create a survey to collect test data for some new equipment we just purchased.

The equipment is designed for calibration of other equipment. We need to know various things such as how the equipment functions. If any errors arise, what the errors are.

So basically I need to create some sort of survey, that will allow a user to input data in different methods - checkbox, text, dropdown. etc..

The only must have - is a way for the data to automatically populate into MS. Access.

The computers will not be hooked up to the internet- and we do not want the testers to have visibility into the access DB. We want each computer to have its own unique DB - so networking is not an issue.

Now, I was thinking of building the survey as a mock website that would populate the data into Access. Possibly through FrontPage, Sharepoint Designer, or Publisher.

But, I would like to ask you TTers how would you go about tackling this problem.

I have very very limited knowledge of Access and building webpages :-( - but I was the most "tech savvy" guy at the time - and automatically lumped into this task. haha

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Access forms do this quite nicely. Have a look in the Access help dialog; also search for forms design & tutorials.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Me neither.

Thank You,

Now are you suggesting I build the survey in Access as well?
I just want to make sure the user is unable to edit - or manipulate any of the saved data.

I also am not that proficient with access - but I am pretty good at perusing the help functions :)

You can make a nice frontend form in Access for this, and compile the database to an mde which will prevent users from changing objects or viewing code. There isn't enough time or space to walk through this in a forum - I suggest spending time with tutorials & perhaps a few texts, and then post back specific questions as they arise.
Good luck!

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Me neither.

Thanks Genomon,

I am currently playing around with forms on MS Access.
I will also search through google to see if I can find any step by step walkthroughs - I can usually learn a great deal from that.

If anyone knows of these type of tutorials - please post.

I will update with any further questions as I get deeper into this task.

Thanks

I will check that out.

I am currently using

it has a nice tutorial on how to create drop down type survey questions.

I just have to make sure I can ask questions that allow text answers, toggle boxes, check boxes, etc.

I will check out the site provided. Thank you both for your help, I am making decent progress!

I don't know who is behind or who created that tutorial but I don't agree with their solution. It creates a ton of work compared with At Your Survey. I can't imagine having to create separate charts for each survey question. I hate lookup fields and detest un-normalized table structures. If it works for you then use it but I would caution against such an inflexible system.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Duane
At Your Survey is very helpful for creating surveys.
I am currently trying to run through it and see what knowledge I can glean for making my own survey.

I would love to learn how to create end/exit/submit/reset buttons in my current form. I would love to also learn how to make Access run like a "program" much like the At Your Survey "program" appears to run.

Hopefully I can dig deep into the workings of At Your Survey and learn how to re-create what I see.

Thank you for your helo.

The At Your Survey demo was made available to show what I feel is a much better alternative to the functionx suggestion. There are some advanced features in AYS but it also lacks some functionality like jumping questions etc.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Well I have created a running form that does collect the data I need.

I have 2 questions.

How do I create a submit button at the bottom of the form? I know you can just hit the next arrow to start a new record - but it would be much more "user friendly" to create a submit button.

Also, is there any way I can have a selection from one form bring the user to a new form. For instance, if the user chooses a certain drop down (ex. the device did not function because xxx) would it then be able to open a new form that deals specifically with problem xxx, or yyy, or zzz for that matter.

Thank you again, especially for your patience - for I am a very new user to MS Access.

There is a command button wizard that has a lot of options for its function. Some of these functions are related to form navigation.

You can use the after update event of a control to do something (open a form or other) based on the value of the control.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Any help offered for my next step?

I have set up the survey and am collecting the results I need. Although I would like to add an additional step.

For instance - If the user chooses a certain drop down or checkbox - after they hit submit- could the form open a new window specific to their choice?

Ex. I have a survey question - Choose problem category - this has a drop down of many choices (Technical issue, power issue, ICP issue etc.)

If the user choose - TECHNICAL ISSUE - after they hit submit could I have the next "page" in the form specific for technical issues (or power issues, or ICP issues, or any of the drop down lists)

Thank you!
And again, please let me know if you need any more specifics, questions, issues etc..

Thank you guys

You could use the After Update event of the control to run a function. This function could reference the question and the answer. Based on this information, a form could be opened or something else could be triggered.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back