Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Bigtime !

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokeeffe

Programmer
Jan 11, 2005
IE
As I am coding using php, i don't know where to go with the following problem.

I keep getting this error

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Information Services

I have tryed to fix it but I can't find the solution, i can surf the web fine but when I go to test my web pages on my machine locally I keep getting this error hence I can no longer test in my development environment.

I have no idea how to remedy this and I have a project deadline for the 16th of July so I am starting to panic. I don't understand how this happened.

Can someone help I'm desperate

Tks

so you're really in a hurry..

what server-application do you use?!

I use IIS, is that what you mean not very knowlegable

on this kind of stuff

that's what i mean.. ;-)

to me this sounds like the server wouldn't be running or wasn't correctly configured for php, but i'm actually more experienced with apache - and if you can, you should maybe use this.

where are you trying to run the script, locally or on a remote server, have you installed php for iis?

try this forum:

ms iis

Yes php is installed I don't really know where to look next

i assume you were also able to configure php automatically via the php-installation?

the server also needs to know that it has to run .php - files...

does the server send html-files? are you even sure it's running and listening?

maybe you should ask your question in the internet information server forum on tek-tips: see the link in the above post.

Yes all of the above was working fine yesterday
php/mysql html IIS has php configured this wasn't a problem.
This error just arose out of nowhere so that's why it's so frustrating I can't seem to tracr back how to fix it when it was fine all along

but at this point it does nothing, right?
again my question: where are you runnig the script? is it some hosted server, a server machine at your house or your local pc?
did ya check your firewall and router settings?
how do you access the server? (what do you type in the adressbar in the browser?!)

Yes it is on my local machine (Dell Pc in my house), I am using Dreamweaver as my development environment so when I want to test a web page i hit F12 and the web page is displayed.

Using this method I don't need to type the address in the address bar

using this method the server isn't even used, you just open the local file. and since php is executed on the server this won't work for what you want...

you should either start your iis, if this is really your production system (the server the site will finally be on).

although this is not probable, over 80% of the worlds webservers are apache... for a reason..

maybe you could try xampp as your development server.

But IIS is installed and running do you think I should scrap this and try and install apache instead.

This is the first time I have has a problem with this in 2 years

how do you know it's runnig? did you run php on it in these 2 years?

if you ask me...what you actually did right now ;-):

use apache.

most people do, which is not a reason to do things, but there are just more apache servers on the internet then anything else.

so you develop for reality, not bill's dreams ;-)

xampp (an apache development distribution) doesn't even need to be installed, there is a "light" version of around 15 megs which is just copied somewhere an started...

Yes I did run php for 2 years without a hitch, I suppose I should move to apache it will probably take me another 2 days to configure it as I'm not that great with that kind of thing

Or do you know an easier way to do it

Regards

you don't need to configure anything, use XAMPP!
it has apache,php,mysql,ssl,... whatever you can imagine without any hassels, that's what it was made for!it's just copied and started!

xampp

Wow that looks really cool I'm going to download it now and install it, just one more piece of advice do I need to uninstall the versions of php and mysql that I have on my pc already before I do this

Thanks for all your help

it awesome ;-)
i'm not exactly sure if there would be any conflicts, but you won't need those installations anymore, so just uninstall them.

you're welcome. enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back