Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help adding Member server to existing domain!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecknogeek

Technical User
Mar 31, 2006
Hello,
Im trying to add a new server to a 2003 standard domain. Both are running 2003 standard. All goes well until I go to promote it to an additional domain controller. I get a message telling me that the forest need to be updated and I need to run "adprep/forestprep".
The domain controller is running exchange. I belive that may be the reason when I try to promote the new server I get that message. Not entirelly sure though.

My goal is to promote the new server as an aditional Domain Controller, Let active directory migrate and eventually move exchange from the PDC to that server.

Haven't done anything yet except try to promote the new server.

Can someone help me that has been in this situation? Any advice welcome...
thanks,

Is the new 2003 server release 2 by any chance?

As bobsa32 mentions, it's probably an R2 issue. Run adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep from the SECOND R2 CD.

But I'm curious as to why you'd move Exchange to another domain controller? It's not recommended to have Exchange on a DC.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Yes it is the new 2003 r2 being ran on the second server and r1 on the DC.

58sniper,
Thats what I'm trying to fix. In order for me to move exchange off of the DC to the new server I have to have active directory running on the new server don't I?
The only way I know how to install active directory is to promote the server.

Hmm. As stated eariler not a good idea to run exchange on a DC. Do you have more hardware to make a dedicated exchange box?

I am confused as to what you want to do.

Are you looking to have two domain controllers and on one of those have exchange? Or are you trying to have 1 domain controller and 1 exchange box?

Thanks for the reply,
Yes I am looking to have 1 domain controller and 1 exchange box? The problem is that exchange is on the DC and needs to be moved to the new exchange box.
Maybe I'm confused!! What services/roles need to be up and running on the new box? I thought active directory had to be installed.

FIRST BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD BACKUP OF YOUR EXISTING SERVER, ACTIVE DIRECTORY, THE REGISTRY (I.E., SYSTEM STATE BACKUP) AND ALL PROGRAMS AND DATA!!!!

Box 1 your DC (the one you have your DC on should remain) leave exchange on it for now. The DC has active directory, DNS, and possibly WINS,DHCP etc depending on your config.

Install Server 2003 on the new box followed by exchange. Configure exchange just like you have it on the the DC. Rules, limits, storage groups, virus scan etc.

Finally when you are done go to your DC open the exchange manager. Find a TEST users mailbox right click and it should say move mailbox. (Warning I would have a good backup before moving things and only move testusers to start) I dont have it in front of me but it should be that easy. Start testing.

Now as far as uninstalling exchange from the DC I am unsure of the procedure. You might want to read this:
Also some other good reading

I am a novice in Admin. Why is not a good idea to run exchange on DC ? I have just one DC and 10 client computers/users. my exchange resides on DC. is something of concern ?

Thanks again for the info,

When I bring the exchange box online with the DC running exchange are things going to get crazy if the exchange setup is the same.

Does it matter if the DC is 2003 standard R1 and the exchange box will be 2003 standard R2?

Also when I move the mailbox will it ask me for the path to the new exchange server?

Any advice is always welcome!
Thanks,

There are HUGE security concerns with running Exchange on a DC, plus, there are resource concerns.

It doesn't matter that the DC is not R2, like the new Exchange box is.

It won't matter that the configuration is the same, since they will have different names.

And follow this:

How to remove the first Exchange Server 2003 computer from the administrative group

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Techogeek:

1) Open exchange manager (fyi: you should be running this as and admin account)
2) Right click on the test users mailbox
3) Select exchange tasks
4) Select move mailbox task
5) The next screen will show server (select your new exchange server) and a storage group pulldown (select the storage group on the new server)
6) Next select create a failure report just in case. (creates a xml log file found in Systemdrive\Documents and Settings\profilename\My Documents\Exchange Task Wizard Logs)
7) select data and time or you can run it at that moment.
8) done

I am sooooo glad to hear other people say that exchange on a DC isn't a good idea :)

Most techs call me nuts for saying it...

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back