Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help adding a field to a report after using the wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxflorida

Technical User
Apr 16, 2002
US
I created a report using the report wizard. At that time I didn't anticipate needing another grouping by a field I hadn't chosen in my report. Now, I can't get the additional field to show up in the sorting and grouping area. Does anyone have some advice on this?

Thanks

First, if the report is based on a query, you will have to make sure the field is included in the query results. Go to the query and add the field if it isn't all ready there.

Then, put the report in design mode, "View-Design View"
then click on the "Field List" icon on the tool bar. It looks like a little sheet of paper with lines on it. You can hover your mouse pointer over each icon to see the names.

The field list opens with the name of the source (query or table) at the top, and a scroll list of available fields. Scroll down to the field you want to insert. Click on it and drag it to the area you want it to be. You may have to move some other fields around to make room. Hope this helps!

Thank you for responding. However, the report is actually based off of two tables. The fields are already in the tables and the tables are linked. Any thoughts for this scenario?

I think if you want to combine the fields from more than one table into a report you have to create a query based on the tables and use that for the records source for the report. ( this creates a temporary "results set" that acts like a single table).

You don't have to rebuild your report. Just make the query, when it is done to your satisfaction save it with a name, then in the report properties type the name of the query in the "Records Source" property.
HTH.

Thank you. You hit on the main point. I was trying to avoid rebuilding the report. Plus, in hindsight, I should have built it based on a query anyway.

You're welcome! Yes, I learned the hard way that it's always best to use a query for forms and reports. Saves a lot of re-doing later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back