Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help adding a 2950G 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmuttart

ISP
Jul 22, 2009
CA
We have recently purchased a used Cisco 2950G and using the network assistant we can see other switches plugged into it via trunk ports but am unable to see the new one from any of the other switches. Can ping from the new to the old but not from the old to the new one. We have wiped the config and setup it up again fresh with just the management vlan and its IP with no success any ideas as to what could possibly be wrong

In any case, it doesn't need to get to any default GW - the 2 switches should be able to communicate.

1/ Do a "SHOW VLAN"

2/ Why is this line in there:
no cdp advertise-v2
?

3/ setup port f0/2 on both switches as access ports in VLAN 2 and then connect your switches that way and see if it makes a difference.

I see that you have created the vlan interface but I don't see a vlan 555 created. On older IOS you had to manually create the vlan, creating the interface did not create the vlan as well.

So go to config mode and enter:
vlan 555

tben try again

Unclerico: Here is the output of sh int fa0/1 switchport on both switches:

lanex1#sh int fa0/1 switchport

Name: Fa0/1

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative Mode: trunk

Operational Mode: trunk

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Negotiation of Trunking: On

Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Voice VLAN: none

Administrative private-vlan host-association: none

Administrative private-vlan mapping: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk native VLAN: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk encapsulation: dot1q

Administrative private-vlan trunk normal VLANs: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk private VLANs: none

Operational private-vlan: none

Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL

Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001

Capture Mode Disabled

Capture VLANs Allowed: ALL

Protected: false

Unknown unicast blocked: disabled

Unknown multicast blocked: disabled

Appliance trust: none
-----------------
lanex2#sh int fa0/1 switchport

Name: Fa0/1

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative Mode: trunk

Operational Mode: trunk

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Negotiation of Trunking: On

Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Voice VLAN: none

Administrative private-vlan host-association: none

Administrative private-vlan mapping: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk native VLAN: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk encapsulation: dot1q

Administrative private-vlan trunk normal VLANs: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk private VLANs: none

Operational private-vlan: none

Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL

Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001

Capture Mode Disabled

Capture VLANs Allowed: ALL

Protected: false

Unknown unicast blocked: disabled

Unknown multicast blocked: disabled

Appliance trust: none

VinceWhirlwind: Here is the output from the show vlan command:

lanex1#show vlan

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4, Fa0/5

Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8, Fa0/9

Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12, Fa0/13

Fa0/14, Fa0/15, Fa0/16, Fa0/17

Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20, Fa0/21

Fa0/22, Fa0/23, Fa0/24, Gi0/1

Gi0/2

2 VLAN0002 active

1002 fddi-default act/unsup

1003 token-ring-default act/unsup

1004 fddinet-default act/unsup

1005 trnet-default act/unsup

VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2

---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- -------- ------ ------

1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - - 0 0

2 enet 100002 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1002 fddi 101002 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1003 tr 101003 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1004 fdnet 101004 1500 - - - ieee - 0 0

1005 trnet 101005 1500 - - - ibm - 0 0

Remote SPAN VLANs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Secondary Type Ports

------- --------- ----------------- ------------------------------------------

==========================

lanex2#show vlan

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4, Fa0/5

Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8, Fa0/9

Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12, Fa0/13

Fa0/14, Fa0/15, Fa0/16, Fa0/17

Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20, Fa0/21

Fa0/22, Fa0/23, Fa0/24, Gi0/1

Gi0/2

2 VLAN0002 active

1002 fddi-default act/unsup

1003 token-ring-default act/unsup

1004 fddinet-default act/unsup

1005 trnet-default act/unsup

1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - - 0 0

2 enet 100002 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1002 fddi 101002 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1003 tr 101003 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1004 fdnet 101004 1500 - - - ieee - 0 0

1005 trnet 101005 1500 - - - ibm - 0 0

Remote SPAN VLANs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Secondary Type Ports

------- --------- ----------------- ------------------------------------------

============================

The no cdp advertise-v2 was left over from earlier testing and has been removed with no effect on the problem.

I will set up a direct connection through access ports on VLAN2 and test again when I have concluded additional tests now underway.

Thanks

whykap: The config you are commenting on was the original config that has since been blown away. We are not using vlan555 (or the config you are referring to) at this time.

Thanks

I have just spent 90 minutes on the phone with Cisco support. The tech used web-ex to have direct control of the cisco console login and tested thoroughly.

The Cisco tech concluded that _both_ of these switches have a hardware failure / failing and should be replaced!

Thanks for all the input.

OK, the VLAN2 is active.

Did you make a note of the other tests the Cisco guy did? Would be interesting to share?

We received two new (used) switches today and after upgrading to the newest firmware, we set up the exact config that was posted to this forum (the second one using vlan2, not the 555). This setup worked exactly as expected with no problem.

Before calling cisco we did a _debug arp_ command and then tried to ping from one switch to the other. This test showed that the ARP process could not determine the MAC address from the IP, even though the switches were directly connected. The system enters an 'incomplete' dynamic ARP table entry that has the IP and a MAC of 0000.0000.0000 when it's not working properly.

We tried to configured a static entry in the ARP table but we were unable to do make it work. This being something we hadn't tried before we assumed that we were doing this step wrong.

The cisco tech started by checking for CDP neighbours _sh cdp nei_ and when this turned up nothing (no nieghbours in the table) he moved our management IP over to vlan 1 on one of the switches and checked it again. Still nothing there.

He tooled around for quite a while changing the VLAN configs but nothing that isn't obvious to a person that manages switches on a daily basis. We pointed out that there was outbound CDP traffic _sh cdp traffic_ but no inbound traffic. The same situation was present on both switches even though they were directly cabled. I then showed him the output of _debug arp_ and _ping 172.16.180.1(2)_ and he decided to put in a static ARP table entry on each switch to statically assign the proper MAC to the proper IP (before we mentioned it). He did this step on both switches.

When he finished with the static entry, he still found the output of _debug arp_ showing the ping to be unable to connect the MAC to the IP. He check all his work, wiped the static entry and remade it but nothing worked.

At this point he informed us that our config was ok from the start, the static ARP was an unordinary measure (that didn't work at all) and so the switches were obviously not operating normally.

He asked us to try connecting one switch at a time to our managed network to see if there was only one switch that had the problem. We had already completed this step and so we were finished. We had the tech send us an e-mail with his conclusions so we could paper trail our work for the upper-management types and RMA the switches back. The supplier actually told us to just keep them and since they are unsuitable for the ISP, I took one home.

At the moment, I have connected my cable modem to the switch fa0/24 VLAN 15, D-Link WBR-1310 router WAN port to fa0/13 VLAN 15, the same D-Link LAN1 port to fa0/14 VLAN 2 and my desktop to fa0/1 VLAN 2. The dlink gets a DHCP IP from my ISP and I get a DHCP IP from my dlink. My subscription is for 15Mbit service and I can run speedtests now at 13-15 Mbit. Whatever is wrong with the switches, it seems that they are working ok - but the management aspects of IOS are not interpreting information received from the network.

This was a very strange problem that wasted a lot of our time. I definitely suggest contacting Cisco for assistance on issues like this. The support was great, even for our switches that were purchased 2nd (or 3rd) hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back