Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Accessing Office Computer Remotely 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bella99999

Technical User
Oct 16, 2001
US
Hi all. I need help remotely accessing my office computer, which is using windows 98, from home using my laptop, which is using windows xp home edition. I havent the slightest clue how to do this. My office computer is connected to ADSL and is wired to a router. I have a second office computer which is connected to the router. My laptop is connected wirelessly to the internet using a router. I subscribe to Cable service at home. The office computer is the main computer. I would like to be able to work on my office computer from home.

Denise

You will need to setup port forwarding on your office router. this is failry easy if you have a linksys/dlink/netgear etc router. (if you have something more for a corporate setting like a cisco and have a network administrator, please let them set it up.)

You will also need some kind of remote controll software for both PCs (ie PCAnywhere, TightVNC).

Your work PC will be the server and your home PC will be the remote.

With PCAnywhere the default ports to fowrward are 5631 & 5632 (i suggest changing this to something else). These are the ports you will need to forward on your router.

Ok, so once i do that will pc anywhere guide me thru the rest and where would i find the settings for port forwarding.

Can you get some specifics on your setup, ie what kind of router you have, version of PCAny.

At office I have Wired Dlink router windows 98. I believe remote administrator is also installed. At home wireless router windows xp home edition. I have 10.5.2 of PCAnywhere on both puters.

I have Cable service at home and DSL at the office. I hope this is what you were asking.

Thanks for your help.

Ok to access your work PC from home you will need to forward ports 5631 & 5632 on the router at work to your PC there.

You also need the internal IP of your work PC to forward to ports 5631 & 5632.

Here is a sample of what your screens may look like:

You will need to know what your real world IP for your work router. You can see what it is from the status screen on your work router. Just log into your router the same way you did for the port forwarding and look for an external IP. Since you have DSL you may have a dynamic IP which will change from time to time. So if you cannot connect to your work PC your external IP may have changed. If it is a static IP you wont have to worry about it changing.

Let me know if this helps.

-Dave

dear slmhc, I am new to this site and I really enjoy reading all the forums. I just thought you might be interested in It is a software application I found on the web. It will update your IP address for you automatically. I just told someone else about it also. I saves the headache of looking it up after you find out it expired. Pretty cool. Sorry for my ranting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back