Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help about Cisco routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 6, 2004
US
hey there, this is my first time using cisco routers and as soon as i started i've seen couple messages on the screen already and this is the actuall errors messages..so if anyone out there have an idea of what is wrong please let me know...I think it has something to do with cabling and IP addresses...

Connect a 2500 router to your laptop and test the Ethernet router.
1.Ethernet0 is down, Line protocol is down
2.Ethernet0 is down, Line protocol is down
3.Ethernet0 is up, Line protocol is up
4.Ethernet0 is up, Line protocol is down

I already figured out the first one and i think the reason Its down because there is no cable plugged in. As soon as I plug a cable in I should get a message showing interface is up.

This message is letting you know that either the router's ethernet cable is not plugged into your switch/hub or that the cable that is plugged in, is not a working cable. This is a layer1/layer2 issue that has nothing to do with IP which is a layer3 protocol.

Verify your cables and switch/hub port and it should be ok.

HTH,
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back