Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need GURU HELP! Dir restore will not start.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceo

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2002
US
We are restoring and archiving a series of Exchange servers/tapes in our lab... do not have the original BDC/PDC.

Ex 5.5, restored IS and Dir onto a HOST that was renamed to match original.... also updated site/org info.

SO, my IS can run if I do not restore with dir.

THE PROBLEM: When I restored the Dir and IS, the dir will not start.

MY GOAL: To restore both Dir and IS and get them up without having to have the BDC/PDC.

Thanks for any help you may provide

It sounds like the data is back and that you are having a problem with Exchange. It will now be a matter of seeing what errors are in the Application Event Viewer when you are trying to start the DS. Take this error to MS technet Usually it will state that some type of exchange utility needs to be run. Normally once the DS starts, the IS will not start since the two are not synched (for lack of a better word). Normally searching the errors when this occurs will point you to running isinteg -patch. Note this is a pretty powerful utility in that if it finds any type of corruption within the IS it just deletes the page.

Good Luck.

Without the DC's available it sounds like you've recreated the domain as well as the server? If so I'm not sure if it is possible as the domain SIDs will have changed, we've only ever restored onto a server that has the correct domain SIDs.

A domain controller is a requirement for any Exchange 5.5 dr situation. There's no shortcuts, no work arounds, build a BDC, split it off from the production environment, and promote it to PDC in the Lab.

GUyz.....

Once you have the IS restore..
RUn the Directory Synchronizer..
On the options choose to sync all.

this should populate the Directory Store..

Have fun

Cheers
Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back