Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need DNS help in AD 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
GB
Hi, I'm just running a test network, before we do the real NT4 to AD2003 migration. I have a PDC and a BDC which have both now become DC's.I have a couple of questions you might be able to help me with.

1.) I have installed DNS on the 2nd DC but it doesn't seem to do or show anything in it's DNS. On the first DC it hasn't even registered, so pinging it's name takes ages, how do I get the second DC to register on the first DC and why wont the 2nd DC capture anything.

When setting up DNS I just followed the screens when upgrading the PDC, is that all I have to do or do I create a DNS zone?

Kind Regards

Andy

Not enough info to help. What kind of DNS zones are setup.? AD integrated, primary-secondary, be glad to help just need to know what you are dealing with first.

Z

Hi, I haven't set up any Zones other than the default one that's installed when you have to upgrade the PDC. I point the 1st DC (which has the DNS on it) to itself in the DNS TCP/IP settings. In DNS the Forward Lookup Zone shows:

_msdcs.gb.vo.local
lab.test.local

There is nothing at all in the Reverse Lookup Zone

All when I look in the DNS event viewer it says "Access Denied" eventhough I logged in as an Administrator.

Kind Regards

Andy

Well I have noticed that you have several threads going on the DNS stuff you are dealing with. I would recommend that you get a good reference book and start there. DNS is a simple priciple concept, but can become increasingly complex as the configurations will be different to each environment. It sounds like you have a primary zone setup with no secondary, If you have a DC pointed to itself for DNS then that DNS zone the DC host should be authoritative for that domain. I would recommend going on MS site and looking up all the white papers you can on DNS in an Active Directory. It will have tons of info. I know this is not a great answer to your question, but it is very difficult for anyone to visualize what you have going on without knowing a whole lot more about your setup.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Z

This may help. quoted form
2nd DNS Issues

1. When setup 2nd DNS, make sure you type correct Master DNS Server IP address.
2. Make sure primary DNS and 2nd DNS servers can ping each other and not firewall blocks them.
3. Make sure primary DNS and 2nd DNS servers point to each other as primary and themselves as secondary.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back