Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need DDS4 tape back-up device suggestions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoJenic

Technical User
Feb 27, 2001
US
I've been placed with the great honor of purchasing a DDS-4 tape back-up device.... but I know relatively nothing about them.

All I know is it should be a DDS-4 (20/40Gb), internal and reasonably priced. It will be used to back-up four WinNT servers nightly with BackUp Exec and we will be manually swapping the tapes every morning. We're purchasing a new unit because we currently have a DDS-3 and are going over the tape limit.

I've looked around, but knowing very little I'm slightly confused on what to purchase. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good brand, what I should look for and things I should avoid? I realize I'm completely out of my league on this one, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are set on using Backup Exec, I would suggest seeing what drives they support. That should eliminate some choices.
James P. Cottingham

Please help, I need to purchase a DAT drive for my company, to enable it to have backups of critical data. The software supplier for a particular piece of software supports the software via backups (in case they need to rebuild the databases etc.) They use a DDS3 HP 24i Surestore DAT drive and do not know when they will go over to DDS4.
I would like to use a DDS4 Dell Powervault 100T , since it can store more.
Will I still be able to save data onto a DDS3 tape from my DDS4 hardware, and send it to my supplier, who will then read it on their DDS3 machine?
The alternative is to purchase a DDS3 machine, although I feel the life span on this hardware and the tapes will be limited with DDS4/5 around?
Can someone advise please.....??

I'm not certain about the Powervault but some of the DDS3 drives could still read/write DDS1 tapes. They were intelligent enough to sense which tape was inserted. See if that is still true for DDS4.
James P. Cottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back