Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Database Login information message...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessebo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2001
US
I have imported report instances from Seagate Info into Crystalk Enterprise 9 and when a user tries to view any of the historical instances he/she gets the following message:
'The report you requested requires further information.' and wants the user to input Database Login information.

This only happens with instances that have been imported, not instances that are run from Crystal Enterprise. Does anyone know how I can prevent a user from seeing database login information. Even when I put in the sa username and password it still doesn't show the instance.

Regards,
Bessebo

Hi,
A little clarification:
By
Even when I put in the sa username and password it still doesn't show the instance.
Do you mean that you set it in the CMC under the database tab for that report?

When users enter the username/password does it then work?

( Also, be sure the pageserver service is running under an account that has permission to access the SqlServer's location )

[profile]

When a user logs into the ePortfolio and tries to run a specific report that user gets a database logon screen pop up to enter a username and password.
I went into the CMC, Manage Objects, and clicked on that report under the Database tab and the radio button 'Use original database logon information from the report' is filled in. THe username and password is also filled in from the import from Seagate Info.

The pageserver service is running...

Regards,
Bessebo

I'm sorry, I misspoke. I imported the reports and the report instances to CE9 from Seagate Info 7. When a user clicks on an imported instance a database logon screen pops up. It is almost like the username and password did not flow and a user is required to enter the username and password. Even when I put in the sa username and password for the database it still reprompts for the username and password.

Regards,
Bessebo

Hi,
Does this problem only happen on stored instances?
Can users ( or you) view-on-demand without getting prompted?

[profile]

Yes this only happens on the imported instances. If you schedule the report on CE9 you can view the instance perfectly. When you view on demand it also prompts for the username and password.

I have figured out something. It appears that only when the report uses a stored procedure (which is a LOT of my reports) does viewing the imported instance prompt for username and password. Other reports that just require a linking of one or two tables (without a stored procedure) display fine with no username and password.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bob

Hi,
A SqlServer guru can probably understand this behavior better than I can ( I use Oracle), but it appears that the user specified in the report does not have access to ( or the right to run) the stored procedure.

[profile]

Hi there,

I'm facing exactly the same problem, but even worse...
after I entered the user ID and password, the report shows with no data. I guess that this is because the data is calculated within a subreport, which is based on a stored procedure.

Some reports even prompt to enter a specific parameter value, time and time again (always the same parameter).

I thought Halloween isn't to come until the end of the month ????? I see some ghosts now already...

Any help is appreciated !!!!

Thanks

Danrab,
Is this occurring after you have imported instances from Seagate Info to Crystal Enterprise?

Regards,
Bessebo

Reply to Bessebo.

Yes indeed, The same report in seagate info v7 can be printed/viewed without any problems, and the report contains data. In Crystal enterprise, only header/footer fixed text is visible, and the report contains no data.

I must mention that some reports are quite large (approx. 200 pages). I saw a thread in this forum stating that CE may have problems with large amounts of data.

I'll check whether this may be the reason and let you know.

Kind regards,

After installing the latest CE hotfixes the problem seemed to be solved.

Hopes this helps others as well.

There is a looping database logon problem out there and a fix for it. Could that be the problem?

search the BusObj knowledge base for looping database...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back