Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need config for 3550

Status
Not open for further replies.

keat63

Technical User
Nov 12, 2010
GB
Guys.
I inherited a CCM4 Voip system a few years back, and ever since i've been learning.
Last week we had a Catalyst 3550 switch fail (Non-free molecules found on the notify ring), which appears is terminal.

I've sourced another switch, same model same revision, but i don't have a clue how to configure it.
There is a second switch in the system but this is a 3650.

Yesterday, i took a chance and TFTP'd the running config from the 3650 and uploaded this to the 3550 (after changing the I.P and switch name of course)

After about 10 minutes, it appeared as if it may have been working, however, It seems that it took the gateway down, and all channels went out of sync with the exchange.

I'm guessing my chance didn't pay off.

My plea is to ask if anyone has a working copy of a config file for a CISCO WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI running on a ccm4.
You would be really getting me out of the doo doo.

I don't think a stranger's random config file is going to help you.

You need to document
1 - exactly what was patched to every single port of the 3550
2 - what the 3650 (sure it's not a 3560?) is configured to do at layer3
3 - how the CCM is configured at layer3
4 - how all the other hosts identified in step 1 are configured at layer3

and from there you can reverse-engineer the 3550 config. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.
If you don't know how to do that, you will need to hire somebody to do it for you.

If you've had this system for a few years, it's pretty inexcusable that you've never taken a copy of the config off your switches.
Are you sure such a config backup doesn't exist somewhere?
Do you have a network diagram with lots of info to give you clues?

Hi Vince.

I wasn't even aware that these switches were configurable, or that the console socket even existed until last week.
Had i known this, i would have made a backup a long time ago.
I spent ages this weekend looking for anything that might resemble a former backup, and after speaking with the IT guy of the previous building owners, he tells me that they used to backup to a flash card, on a system they took away with them.
He does seem to think that he may have a print out though, so there is some hope still.

I wouldn't have a clue how to configure this, so I may have to sub it out and get done over.

As for patching, the first 4 ports are connected to the computers and router of the phone system.
The other 20 ports all have 7905 IP phones connected.
This is why i took a chance on copying the config from the 3650.

Incidentally I've just checked and the other switch is a 3560

You need to look at the IP address of all your devices. Once you know what subnets they fall into, you will know what VLANs to create for those subnets.

Then, you look for whatever they are using as their default GW address and find out where it is on the network. If it doesn't exist, it probably needs to go on the 3550. The 3550 will then need routes for any other subnets that it doesn't itself belong to.

Thanks for the offer Vince.
I'm in the UK.. if we both start digging, we could meet somewhere in the middle. ??

I've had another play this afternoon, and I'm guessing that running-config probably isn't enough to get this working, as I'm now even struggling to ping the 3550 even though it has a direct connection to both servers.
I'm assuming that the first 4 ports which I assume where data ports may require some config other than in running-config.

The guy who used to administer this system is calling in for an hour tomorrow, so hopefully he'll know what it is.

Where in the UK are you? This sounds like no more than a days work to be honest. As Vince says if you know all the devices IP addresses & masks or can get this information then creating the VLANs and SVI interfaces should be relatively simple. Documentation and a diagram works wonders....

Cheers
Andy

Eventually, i managed to track down the guy who originally looked after this system prior to me inheriting it.
It turns out that when he left, he took the printout of the configs with him.
A few hours on Wednesday evening and we both had it back up and running.

I've learnt quite a bit from attempting to configure this myself, and the help from the previous owner, so i'm now considering adding a third switch to give a little more redundancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back