Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need code to change cell colors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

westma

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
US
Greeting,

I have data in cells A57:F65536 and I need the cells in the row to turn yellow if the cell in column B corresponding to that row contains a zero. In other words, if B100=0, then cells A100:F100 would turn yellow, I can't figure out the code and I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Thanks,
matt

You don't need code.

Use conditional formatting:

1. Select cell A1
2. Type {Control}+A to select all cells
3. Pick Format/Conditional Formatting... from the menu
4. Change "Condition 1" to "Formula Is"
5. Enter the formula:[blue]
Code:
      =AND($B1=0,ROW($B1)>=57)
[/color]

6. Click "Format..."
7. Select "Patterns"
8. Click on your color.
9. Click OK
10. Click OK

Cool! Thanks a bunch

best regards,
matt

You might be able to do this easier with Conditional Formatting. Highlight your cells in (Ax:Fx) and go to Format->Conditional Formatting and set your parameters and formats.

You will want to set 2 conditions:

1) Formula is: "=ISBLANK(B1)=TRUE" and set your format;
2) Formula is: "=B57=0" and set your format;

The first condition handles any empty cells in column B.

Dan.

Regarding Zathras solution: It might be preferable to eliminate the ROW clause and instead just apply the conditional formatting to only rows 57+. The potential drawback otherwise is if you e.g. delete rows 1-50, the condition will still be married to 57+, and if you then wanted the coloring for 7+, you wouldn't get it.

But it all depends on your scenario. Maybe you want the 57 to be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back