Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need CMOS Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuckbmw

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2002
US
Have a Dell Inspiron 8000, and I need to reset the Admin password for the cmos settings, and Dell is taking to long.

Help!
stuck

First try hacking it. Is this your machine or do you know who put the password in? Guessing it is the fastest fix.

If not, download the updated Bios onto a floppy (follow the directions you get from the download) then refer to you mobo manual to find out the jumper that will delete the cmos.

Becarefull here. Without a cmos you computer becomes an expensive paper weight...

But there should be a jumper on the motherboard that erases the cmos. Then load the new cmos form the floppy.

good luck and read the directions. Its easy to make a mistake.

If you reset the CMOS from a jumper, or by simply removing the battery for say, 15 minutes, you don't need to "reload" it - in fact, you can't. You can flash the BIOS with firmware, but the CMOS is hardware!

Once the CMOS is reset, you simply go into the BIOS and adjust the settings to how you want them. No need to load anything, unless you can actively save your current BIOS settings, which I doubt, without a password. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Aye, afaik most BIOS have backdoor passwords. If you can get the Motherboard model and pref BIOS revision and post here could have a gander for you ?

I know the rev is A02, the 7C2C901-D35B. I tried PMR's fix, but it did not work for the Inspiron, so I'm back to the drawing board, although I will go back to the originating site of the software.

Let me know If you can fix this one grenade

Unfortunately there isn’t a backdoor password; each machine has its own unique master password. You can wait and let DELL tell you what your master password is or purchase an eeprom to replace the one in your machine. These eeproms can be found on Ebay and other places on the WWW.

stuckbmw - CitrixEngineer's given you the solution

Been there done that Wolluf, I pulled the whole system apart, disconnected 2 batteries, one on the modem, and one under the palm pad, disconnected for a day, and tried to reset the eeprom under the dvd player, problem is the i/o controller chip LPC47N252 which has a boot lock, and I can't get past it, so I'm on the waiting list, unless there is any other idea's. Ha I got to hand it to Dell, I have never had this much problem with a password.

Check for a jumper to unlock the bios, then remove password jumper and power up, then shut down and replace jumper. If you get in to the bios by which ever way it says, set bios to defaults. You can go from there.

there is a good password cracker out there, can't find it in the big box o floppies yet, but there are at least 3 good bios/ cmos crackers out there. try a search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back