Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need cd-rw driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrburke

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
US
I have a brand new, but old, cd-rw drive that id's itself as "LG CD-RW CED-8080B" and on the face-plate as an HP CD Writer Plus, but my system won't recognize it and I just can't do a full restore and thus lose everything, as I'm handicapped and some of my stuff can't be replaced, but I need it. Anyone know where I can get the right driiver? HP is no help.

Thanks,
Marty

HP is no help because they dont have the patch you need. Go to the site for the burning SW you're using and search for your "CED-8080B"

pc.gif

Jomama

Hi

I would start by finding out what drive you have got. I often use a program called HWINFO to find out what hardware is in machines.
You can download it from here : I have only ever tried the DOS version so I don't know what the 32bit one is like.
Once you know what you've got then you can try the manufacturers website and see what they've got

Hope this helps

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

CD burners don't have "drivers". There is no such thing. They have firmware updates. What you need is NERO or ROXIO burning software that supports your burner.
Does it not show up in Device Manager?? Do you have it installed in the PC properly? Do you have the master/slave jumper set correctly?

Jim

Then I guess all those people at driverguide.com are just idiots. May as well shut down their site then, huh? Good thing you're here to point that out.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

The link you provided is for a firmware upgrade-not a driver. As I said, a burner needs no driver-just burning software. The PC should automatically recognise the burner in Device Manager without installing any software.

Jim

TSSTechie
Could you help me out please. I am not very good with the irony or sarcasm thing. When I clicked you link and saw multiple references to drivers and firmware upgrades it did make me wonder what you were trying to say.

All the best.
Why is it people take cover in bus shelters?

Hi PCLine

Sorry, I was simply chanllenging ANFPS26's statement that CDRW drivers don't exist.

TSSTechie

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

The link only shows firmware updates and DOS drivers.

Jim

anfps26 is kind of right the driver you have in win. will let you're burner work as a cd/rom but it won't work as a burner without a burn program [firmware].. the confusion comes from the fact that everyone calles them drivers so it's got to where some of the firmware providers call them drivers also.. the main thing is that the damn thing won't work without it..In other words it dosen't make any differance who made you're burner or what computer you have it on it won't burn without a program.. {Nero or Roxio or somekind...

Wow! There is a lot of confusion in this thread. First, let's start out with a couple basic definitions:

The term "driver" can mean a lot of things, but generally it is just a set of instructions. The most common association of the word "driver" in the PC world relates to software communication with hardware.

ANFPS26 is pretty much right. All modern (less than 5 years old) CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives use firmware, which like the definitions above state, is just a set of instructions programmed into a memory chip known as EEPROM. Think of it like a "driver" that is built-in to a piece of hardware, in this case a ROM (read-only memory) chip. Though the function of firmware is similar to a software driver in Windows, they are not identical. The terms are often used interchangeably, however.

TonyBose and TSSTechie,
The entry you see in Device Manager in Windows is just a pointer that uses the firmware. It is not really a driver, at least not in the same sense as the ones for your printer, modem, or soundcard. All those links you provided to [blue]driverguide.com[/blue] reference firmware upgrades. They may use the word "driver", but if you actually download and take a look at the files, they are procedures for updating the firmware or installing some 3rd-party software program - NOT A DRIVER.

Ever wonder why a CDROM drive you purchase doesn't come with a driver on a floppy? Did you really think that the generic Windows driver in device manager was all that was needed? How did you think Windows knew what kind of CDROM drive you had? Think again...anyone who has built a PC from scratch should know!

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

mrburke,
If you're still listening, look for updated firmware for your drive. Some of the links posted above might help.

However, I would prefer to get the firmware directly from the manufacturer:

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back