Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Case Dis-assembly instructions for GATEWAY Profile 1.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggsr

Technical User
Dec 26, 2003
US
My "A" Drive seeks and is recognized... but won't spin up..I need to locate dis-assembly information on the Gateway Profile 400Mhz (Original Units or maybe the Profile 1.5...so I can see if the drive has a broken belt or why else it won't spin up......Can anyone suggest a course of action....I have to crack the case to repair...

The unit dates to July 1999 and I can't even update BIOS without an "A" Drive

I would suggest to just buy a new one, it would be easier. They are only $10 or so, not that expensive.

E-bay has a "Profile 1" floppy listed for $5.00. That still doesn't tell you how to get it open to replace the drive. Did you try Gateway "Customer Service"? The way I found out how to open my Solo 2500 was to go to E-Bay and look at all the parts. From all the pictures of individual parts, I was able to remove parts 'till I got to where I wanted.

The case is sealed. Read this thread:

thread602-637316

Jim

From a Google search:

"Dear George I own a Gateway Profile computer. It has been an excellent workhorse. However, after about a year and a half of use I have a problem with the floppy drive. It will not read floppies! The floppy drive looks like it is functioning because its light comes on. But I keep getting an error message that says it is not accessible. I use this computer every day. Is there a way to replace the floppy drive without sending the computer back to Gateway? I sent an email to their online support people. They told me I would have to send it back." --Unwilling

Dear Unwilling The Gateway Profile unit you have is the first "Profile" sold by Gateway. The entire CPU, floppy drive, CD Drive and every other component of this computer, is built-in to the housing that also contains the display (monitor). Due to the Profile's integrated functionality, I'm told it must be opened in a "clean room" in order to replace your floppy drive. That means, you must ship it to Gateway to perform the replacement."

Jim

To ANFPS26

Thanks for the Info....of course gateway said to send it back...however you sre the only one who has taken the time to explain why....

The rig has been super and I do use a USB floppy drive to get around the problem...but lacking an "A" drive leaves me open to a multitude of problems that can go wrong....

I see now in the forums that I am not the Lone Ranger...The problem must be with the OEM drive provider...I'd suspect a belt as one can hear the drive motor ....there now is another reference to the same problem in the forums and they also are hesitent to send in the rig...we've both come not to trust Gateway in nothaving them to do something to muck up what we have and are satisfied with except for the glitch we have...

Apparently we will have to bite the bullet and pay the price....unless someone else out there has cracked a case and repaired an Original Profile in frustration...

Thanks again for your time...my Google search didn't turn up anything....guess I don't know what terms to filter for....

buggsr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back