Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skykiller

Programmer
Jul 9, 2000
US
I am 19, making 33k for a help desk company who does it outsourcing.
I dont know what i do now, my goal is to be a windows server admin.

setting up AD dealing with Group policys domain contollers exchange and that kind of stuff. Should i go to college? or just get certs?

I allready know most of the stuff I still need to learn about exchange
but i can design and build a full network runing a domain, VPN, RIS server and Terminal Services.

what should i do to get to the nice cussy job of windows server admin?

also how much do you think the job above makes?

Josh Williams

I am actually working help desk right now as well, but just as a jumping point to get into a higher level job when one opens up, such as an NT admin or network admin.

Personally, if you have no college coursework done at all, I would atleast get your associates. I took classes online for my bachelors of science in network administration, which covered networking, server admin, and many other things. I did all of this online, from an accredited school. The nice thing about it was the fact that it does not say anything about being an online degree on my diploma.

Jeremy Breher, BSCS

I'll say it, but don't get your feelings hurt. Your age will prevent you from what you call the "Cushy Network Administrator" posistion. You can hit networking from many different angles, you can get a few certs like net+, and end up on a team somewhere and do your learning there while furthering your education while there. IMHO, that posistion takes large certs like MCSE and a handful of others plus experience if you don't have a degree. Managing a network also involves managing people and that is why experience is usually a must along with education.

My knowledge is based on a coworker, 3 yrs ago was 19 years old and had his MCSE and was applying everywhere and not even getting a nibble. He was also well versed in Linux and Unix platforms. (Very smart kid)Things are now slowly working for out for him.

But Hey, anything is possible. Aim High as the Air Force says.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

I don't know your exact situation, so I can't make any strong recommendations, but I would say that education is always a good thing.

You might want to get a piece of paper and write down some life goals, starting at 50 years old and working your way backwards:

50: Own a $2 million a year company
45:
40: Start my own company
35:
30: Work for a leading company
25:
20: Start back to school

Don't forget that in the IT industry, you're dedicating yourself to a lifetime of education. If you stop learning, you stop earning.

Chip H.

Do you think going after a degree from ITT would be worth it? or should i look else ware

Josh Williams

Man, 33k as a 19 year old? That is pretty good money. At your age, I was making only 18k (military life). Granted, that was about 15 years ago.

I think the best advice given so far is that from chiph. Give yourself a goal. Figure out yourself how you are going to meet that goal.

As far as ITT for a degree. I would really talk to the counseler on that. I have heard many times that the degree attained at ITT does not transfer to other colleges. What I mean is that ITT only gives a degree (an associates in my area) that is designed to cut out the "fluff" that major colleges deem a necessity. Don't get me wrong, I wish all colleges would do that, but there are national standards that colleges have to uphold to, and English is one of them. I did not notice English as a requirement at ITT for my area.

The other misguidance that you have heard is that there is such a thing as a "cushy Windows Server Admin" job. You may need to expand upon your meaning, but I view it as a misunderstanding of what Windows Server Admin's do. Take a look at the Windows Server 2003 forum sometime, and you'll see that there are plenty of things that go wrong, and plenty of work to do on them.

If your looking to get the paper then a College Degree is going to get you more than an ITT degree. Certs such as CCNA are going to be a big boost to get you to bigger and better things.

What can you do to get the "cushy admin" job.
1) Get more experience not a couple years but a number of years in a various admin jobs
2) Get in on the ground floor with a start-up.
3) Start your own company.

The sad fact is that with rare exceptions age is a factor in the level at which you will get hired, or not get hired (even though thats illegal).

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

im pertty sure im going to attend that school i showed above and ill get my degree in 17 months or so

down side is that its around 30k

Josh Williams

I think you'll find that vocational schools will only take you so far in life. If you ever want to reach the ranks of management, you'll need a Bachelor's degree.

You should probably find a community college that has a transfer program set up with one of the universities in Tennessee. That way you can continue to work at your day job and pick up a class or two in the evenings. Your employer might even have an educational assistance benefit that will help pay for it.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back