Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Blackberry Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsantin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2004
CA
Hi, Im one of the few people in this world who doesn't have a blackberry so I need some guidance.

I need to setup 1 user with mail access on his blackberry,
From what I've read I have 3 options:

1. Forward mail to the Black Berry account
2. Install a Blackberry "BES" server
3. Use POP3 mail

Are these my only options? Im not too keen on forwarding mail becasue the user will be sending messgaes and it needs to originate from our mail domain.

I also saw that BES Express is free for 1 user from RIM, is BES worth the effort for 1 user?

What about activesync? Does this work with Blackberries?

Up until we have used OMA on mobile devices, this is new territory for me and would apprecate some direction.

Thanks guys!

What about the desktop redirector, I am not too famaliar with it but it might be worth looking into to.

The Blackberry Express option is the best, because it natively supports attachment viewing. The desktop redirector does not.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

BES is no effort at all!

Create accounts,
Give it permission,
(If E2k3 R2 make sure you specifically add the Send As function)
Install software,
Add User
Activate handset

I mean I was shocked at how easy it was!

I am a bit disappointed with the functionality though as you can't store the entire mailbox on the device (or can someone tell me different?) although you can file, delete etc. the new mails in your folder structure and this reconcils to the Exchange Mailbox.

Use the free BES as you can add upto 15 users to it at a later date.

Iain

Thanks for the info, is it safe to insatll BES on the exchange server or should it go onto a new box?

Also, which components do you suggest I install? I have a copy of BES express and there seems to be a lot of service options.

I appreciate the help.

BES must go on a different box and the install is pretty straight forward.

I've got an ipaq phone (6515), in the office I have SBS 2003, Exchange 2003, fully SP'ed and running ISA 2004.

I get my mail sync'ed for the price of data calls on my phone and can use Word/Excel.

Costs a lot less that BB and without any special software installed!

HTH,
Carl.

Thanks for all the info. I ended up installing BES on my secondary exchange server (part of the same routing group) to reduce the risk of killing our production server and load considerations.

Install went OK, ended up calling RIM tech support who walked me through some permissions I missed. Otherwise all appears to be working.

My blackberry user is happy, however he had to wipe the device because RIM told us you can't add a blackberry to your organization if it was already registered with another, you need to do a "security wipe". Just an FYI.

Thanks all.

Just wait until all the other users start whining that THEY want a Blackberry TOO!!!

JB

"He who laughs last probably made a backup. He who laughs loudest probably hasn't checked his backups in a while."

Don't feel bad...when I lft my last job - we had 765 Blackberries deployed to users in the field.

"He who laughs last probably made a backup. He who laughs loudest probably hasn't checked his backups in a while."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back