Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need basic DVD Video editing info

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
This is not an Adobe Premier question, but I dont know where else to start...

I have just got a DVD recorder Im using it to dub my old VHS tapes to dvd. These DVD's end up as VOB files that will play in any DVD player. Now, the DVD's are simply 6 hours of whatever was on the tape when dubbed. I want to be able to go into those VOB files and split them up.. take out parts I want, mix in a different order etc, and re-output them to DVD as a finished, edited DVD with titles and chapters and stuff. What tools and process do i need to go through to accomplish this?

any suggestions would be appreciated..

You are starting with an analog source (VHS).

First, you have to digitize into an editable video format such as .avi. I don't know if you can do that directly from a .VOB. You can do it with an analog capture card. I bought a Matrox RT.X10 which allows the analog video to be digitized on the hard disk in a .avi file. It works well.

Second you can edit the .avi file however you want using Adobe Premiere or another program such as Pinnacle or Ulead.

Third, you can use Premiere to export (encode) the timeline to an MPEG file. At this point you have finished editing (though some authoring programs may let you do some further editing).

Fourth, you will go to an authoring program such as Sonic's DVDIt! which will let you set up a menuing system on the DVD and burn the DVD.

I'm sure there's many options I don't know about, being fairly new to this myself, but at a high level, that's what's involved.

Someone else may know if there's a way to capture the video in editable format off the DVD you dubbed. I have not found a way to do it.

STLsailor

The DVD recorder turns the analog source into Digital then, so I dont have to go through the capture stuff like you used to with capture cards. I know the VOB files are really some kind of MPEG files and you can rename them and edit them, but Im sure there must be VOB editors out there somewhere...

You can convert the VOB files to AVI or other formats and then re-edit that in Premiere or any other video editing application. DVD Ripper software can do this. Google VOB to AVi and you will find several conversion/ripper apps.

Its seems odd that theres not an editor that can directly edit VOB files. If I understand it right, the VOB files are basically MPG files so it shouldnt be that difficult to edit them directly...

thanks, that looks like exactly what i need...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back