Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need assistance using 'count' in a address DB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamek

MIS
Aug 18, 2001
US
Hey Folks, hopefully this is something simple. What im looking for is this, i have a mailing list that i need to get a count of the people in each state we are mailing to. db is setup lastname,first, address1,address2,city,state and zip. what im looking to do is just get a count of the people from each state as a list, alabama,arizona, arkansas, etc...... i have just the very basics of access down, how to run sorts and things like that, but that is the extent of my knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Burger
HARDWARE! Tech <grin>
Show me a IRQ Conflict and poof its fixed, hand me a bluescreen and watch me scream.

Alrighty Folks, i KNEW this would Happen.. the giver of jobs <tm> has changed the previous task. He wishes to know the city and state count for our address database, example

Detroit, MI 4,567
Dexter, MI 12
Troy, MI 308
Toledo, OH 2,000
Miami, FL 3,856

etc etc. Hopefully this is a simple task for a person with the right skillset. heh, please use small words and short sentances in your reply <smile>

Dave Burger
HARDWARE! Tech <grin>
Show me a Dead PC and poof its fixed, hand me a bluescreen and watch me scream.

Create a query like the following in the Access Query Designer - SQL View. The query use the aggregate functions GROUP BY and COUNT. This is often referred to as a TOTALs query in Access. You can find detailed info in the Access Help.

Select State, City, Count(LastName)
From AddressTbl
Group By State, City Terry L. Broadbent
Programming and Computing Resources

Thank you very much Terry, i appreciate the help you have given me! exactly what i was looking for!

Dave Burger
HARDWARE! Tech <grin>
Show me a Dead PC and poof its fixed, hand me a bluescreen and watch me scream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back