Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need AntiVirus program for Windows NT server 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby4Doo

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2002
US
Hi! I'm fairly new to my company (2 weeks to be exact) and am the only individual for the IT dept. The person prior to me came in one day and just quit, so I've had no help in getting to know their system. In my research, I've noticed that the main PDC is a SQL Server running the program - Windows NT Server 4.0. My problem is that there is NO AV associated with this server at all! I want to purchase one ASAP but need some advice on which would be the best (and most inexpensive) AV for me? There are about 30 users attached. Any suggestions? Help offers? Ideas? I would appreciate ALL YOUR HELP! [ponder]

We've been using Norton on all our companies computers (5 NT 4.0 servers and 60 Windows 98 clients). It works VERY well and is fairly easy to setup.

I'll second that. I'm using Norton's Corporate Edition, which reports virii to the administrator. Highly recommended.

Trend's "ServerProtect" (NT Server) and "OfficeScan" (PCs) make a nice solution, and have all the tools (web based) for remote installation and updating of program, engine and virus data files. We use it on 50+ servers (including 12 Citrix servers) and 200+ PCs.

No problems, and better still, no virus (yet - touch wood).

We also use Norton Corporate Edition and this works very well and is a piece of cake to setup

Nortorn Cororate Edition all the way...
Very easy to install/configure,
Easy to deploy/update a vast number of client/servers remotly

BTW forget McAfee, used this on a 1000 PC site with 30 Servers...

Dumped it, and paid for AV software all over again (Norton) cuz McAfee was so bad.

Id also consider Sophos. Easy to use and they consistently get the fixes out first for major virus incidents ie Nimda

Norton Corprate is the way to go if you have internet that is not dial up you can even update all viri list with out lifting a finger and the thinq was a snap to set up and you get the nifty symantec gold card (have no idea what it is for but it has my name on it)

i use mcaffe virus defence suite, it is VERY good, it has netsheild NT for the servers and virus scan for the workstations and various other virus scan programs for exchange servers etc. the engine updates and virus updates are free and released weekley. brilliant suite, not that bad a price either. it is quite a bit but how much does your company treasure its data?

HTH

Marc Turner
(Admin of a co- existance NT - Novel - 2K system)

bit of a show of then, its working for once!! so why not show off!

Hi,

I used both Norton, Mcafee and Sophos, and would have say
i personally prefer Sophos, Its just seems more user friendly.

SAVAdmin allows you to see what pc is running the client end, and push updates down to users at any time.

Paul If aint broken, dont try n fix it!!!!!

Id say Sophos.

I work for a support company and see anti virus products all the time.

Sophos are spot on with virus updates. Its easy to download and push out to workstations.

Mcafee is complete crap, doesnt clean viruses. Doesnt even detect most of them.

InoculateIT is ok, bit of a pain to set up the updates etc and long in the tooth.

Havent seen symantec but i am sure its better than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back