Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need an IP unblocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzogoose

Technical User
Nov 23, 2005
US
Hello,

My computer seems to have blocked one solitary IP address for some reason, and it's a site I designed and constantly update.

The url is The IP is 64.202.193.150
I have tried adding it to my trusted sites, it's listed in my hosts file as 64.202.193.150 comicavalanche.com, and I've tried 3 different browsers, the current versions of IE, Firefox and Opera. I know others are able to access the site.

I also tried telnet 64.202.193.150 from a command prompt and it said connect failed. I don't understand why I can't access this site anymore. It just started happening the day before yesterday, and I need to update it as it is a news site. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for your reply - please let me know if you have any success.

Topwebdog

Ugh. After being held up for TWO MONTHS with the second level of tech support they tell me it's not their problem, when it is clearly timing out at a secureserver on the network according to the trace route! So I'm screwed. My ISP can't help me, godaddy can't help me, so I'm on of luck.

Brant W. Fowler

For Brant -

Being a small web company, and knowing that the problem was not with my server, I have not given up on finding out what is going on, because even though it is nothing I can fix, it does affect me.

Much has transpired since I wrote my first post here. Good news for you! My client first got the result that you did when talking with Adelphia. (BTW - the problem does not originate with Adelphia) But since then, I have found 9 people from coast to coast who cannot view my sites. I had them run trace routes from command prompts. One (in Indiana with SBC DSL) looked like it timed out at the place where I have my server in co-location (firewall). But the trace route from my Adelphia served client timed out after 4 hops. There is a backbone provider along the way that is malfunctioning. I spoke with a tech, and they upped it to a level 2 tech, and I sent them the trace route. They are tracking it down and are supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

From looking at your trace route, it appears you are having the same problem. Contact Adelphia. 1-888-683-1000 Tell them that you would like to send a trace route that you did from a command promt that shows that it is timing out at a backbone provider. You can tell them that Matt (level 2 tech) is working on a similar problem with a customer from Ohio, and that he might be the best person to call you back.

When you do your tracert from cmd, are you first disabling any fire wall? Have you done nslookup first to see if the DNS is resolving properly? I would do all this and have it in the tracert result that you send to them, so they can see what steps you took.

Good luck to you.

BTW - can you see ? If not, please let me know, and I will have you send me a copy of the tracert too!

Topwebdog

Thanks wdkoenig - it is viewable by the majority of people all over the world. Only a select few cannot see it. It is people who cannot see it that I need to hear from. Thanks for trying.

Topwebdog

Topwebdog - I can see it fine here. Comcast/Michigan.

Brant - sorry to hear you haven't got any resolution yet. If no luck w/2nd level, perhaps go to 3rd? There has to be some DNS/iRIP/BGP Routing guru sitting deep in a data center somewhere that could fix this like *that*. Just finding him/her is the tricky part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back