Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need an education...please?!? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITschoolGuy

Instructor
Jun 3, 2002
US
Hello all-

I was just curious if anyone would be kind enough to give me the skinny on the differences between wireless-B and wireless-G networking. I'm actually working in a company that supplies hardware to customers with networks and I know very little about the differences between the two technologies. I may also have some misconceptions among the little bit of knowledge that I do have.

For example, both technologies are essentially DSSS, right? One operates at 2.4 GHz, the other at 5 GHz? Are both specifications fleshed out in IEEE 802.11? Are they compatible with one another? Does "Wi-Fi" come into any of this anywhere?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
felling lost (Chris)

802.11b and 802.11g are both 2.4Mhz DSS.
b runs at 11 mbs, g at 54mbs.
g is "backwards" compatible with b devices.
IEEE has published standards for b,g and a (as well as others). 802.11a is 5Mhz. at 54mbs and is not compatible with b or g.

"Wi-Fi" is an industry voluntary certification alliance that is designed to ensure that products from several vendors, if certified "Wi-Fi", should work together.

smylies,

I bet they take longer than I did to explain the difference.

Best to you, and Happy Halloween.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back