Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need algorithm help

Status
Not open for further replies.

aMember

Programmer
Jun 12, 2002
US
Have unique "keys" in the format of 1-111 in Excel. Want to be able to generate thru VBA the next sequential key.

Can't just add one to 1-111 because 1-111 is a string. Need to be able to get from 1-999 to 2-000 also.
Any suggestions on how to handle this most efficiently?

Andrea

How about:

=LEFT(A1,1)+NOT(MOD(RIGHT(A1,3)+1,1000)) & "-" & RIGHT("000" & MOD(RIGHT(A1,3)+1,1000),3)

Ron

Hi aMember,

To do it in VBA, this should work ..

Code:
Dim Key As String
Key = "1-994"
Code:
' For example
Code:
Key = Format(Replace(Key, "-", "") + 1, "#-000")

To do it in a worksheet, Autofill does everything except the switch from 1-999 to 2-000, so depending on exactly what you are doing you might be able to make use of that.

Enjoy,
Tony

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Wishing all Tek-Tippers a Happy and Prosperous New Year

In VB/VBA, the subject has been discussed numerous times, with a number of "professional" responses. See thread222-97999 for at least a few well done procedures along this line.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

That really helped. Ron, I tweaked what you gave me and incorporated it into my VBA code. Works like a charm.

Greatly appreciated.
Andrea

Hi Tony,

Did you mean Substitute instead of Replace ?
worksheetfunction.substitute

I like the theory of removing the dash and incrementing.

Hi dc20,

Replace is new in VBA 6; it does the same as the Worksheet Substitute function. So in Excel 2K (and above) you can use either; in earlier Excel you need to use Substitute; in other Office 2K apps you can use Replace; in other pre-2K Office apps you need to code your own function.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question.

Hi again,

Just tried to use the same method without VBA ..

=INT(((SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""))+1)/1000)&"-"&RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")+1,3)

.. but it's a bit more long winded.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back