Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advise in adding VLAN to existing network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digum2K

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
US
I have 2 switches, 2 Aironet radios, 1 router, and 5 client computers (WinNT Network). I need to setup a switch and radio to connect a building to another. How is the best way for me to set this thing up. The clients in Building A need to be able to obtain DHCP info from Build B (which is the main network). If I plug this router into a switchport assigned to VLAN 2 (Building A), and apply an access list to it (we only want the 5 new clients to get the Internet port 80), will this accomplish the task?? Tell me how you would do it, please.

Eric, CCNA, Net+, APS, A+

Building A: radio1 + switch1 + 5 clients, NO VLANS!
Building B: radio2 + switch2 + router
Building A have different addressing sheme and the router
will router that net so communication will be obtained:)
ACL on the router - yes!

This is the kind of info I'm looking for, thanks long. I thinking to hard about this. So if I set up one router int on subnet A and the other on B and I setup the existing DHCP server in A to serve up a range on B everything will be alright?? Then the ACL to choke off B clients from everything but the net right??

Since there are only a few hosts on the network you can also make the router as the DHCP server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back