Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advise for an Access Point Ready switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffGatti

Technical User
May 15, 2003
US
Hi,

Here is my senario. I have a client that is a Private Medical Facility operating out of a hospital.

I am upgrading their server to an MS-SBS to support 13 users, 3 being remote.

I was going to put in a standard 24 port switch, but they mentioned to me that they are interested in taking a look at a wireless solution in a few years, so the Dr's can walk around with either PDA's or Tablets to see patiences.

I was thinking that maybe I should remove the standard switch, and put in something that would be scalable and cascadable for a future upgrade for wireless access points as well as IP Telephony.

Any suggestions on which router/switch would do the job from Cisco?

With Appreciation,

Jeff

Uhh, just use a normal switch, when needed, add an access point to it. Any high end gear will be like that. If you want an all in one, then thats where the link$hit stuff and netgear comes into play..

BuckWeet

You might want a switch that can supply inline power to access points or IP phones. This negates the need for a power outlet next to the access point or phone.

The current standalone inline power switch from Cisco is the 3550-24-PWR. This is $3.5k list price for the standard version.

Thanks Piass, i'll check that one out to see if it meets the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back