Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamingLisp

Technical User
Feb 24, 2005
GB
Hi, I have an AMD set-up consisting of :-

MB:
ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard
CPU:
AMD Athlon xp 2500+ (core Thorton w/512k, 0.13 micron)
PSU:
Codegen 300xx 400w PSU
MEMORY:
1 x stick of TwinMOS 512 DDR 266-mhz-cl2 pc2100U 20330

1 x stick of VDATA DDR 333 (2.5) 512m 16

GRAPHICS CARD:
Gainward G4TI 4800 SE

HDD:
Maxtor diamondmax plus 9 80G ATA/133 HDD

DISCDRIVE:
Sony CD-RW CRX230E - 52x/32x/52x

SOUNDCARD:
Creativelabs soundblaster Audigy

ALSO:
Logitech internet keyboard
Genius optical mouse
BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL modem
----------------

I know very little really about Hardware configurations, i.e CPU frequencies, and even less about memory.

I can only seem to get this thing to work at a CPU speed of 1094.60 MHZ

I also purchased a stick of PC3200 (cl2.5) 51.2MB DDR - DIMM but don't have it in my system.

Can anyone please offer any advice on how to get my processor to run at it's intended speed, my bios allows me to change the defaults and also to set the multipliers,Vcore etc... manually, but I have no clue really what these settings should be. I can sometimes get the thing to boot up at 14** Mhz but it often just bluescreens, and I have to resort back to 1100 just to get past the windows boot sequence. One particular occurence is a bluscreen showing hundreds of DDDDD's when in the boot sequence after selecting my O/S.

Please excuse me if anything in my set up is drastically wrong.
Can anyone please help me?

thank you in advance, Steve.

I'm not sure about that specific AMD processor, but I do know that they don't actually run at the speed suggested in the name. Around 1830 is what it's supposed to run at.

Also for this board on Asus.com I see no support for a "Thorton" core. You may have an incompatable MB or you need to flash the bios.

Hi and thanks for the swift reply Gloryhound.
I did flash my bios last week with latest update and I am aware of the CPU running less than stated but the max default setting it comes up with in my bios is 2200 Mhz, but even if I boot at 1400 it is unstable if it even gets past POST :/

could it be anything to do with the memory? if so what is the best config for the board any ideas anyone?

Hi FlamingLisp,
It sounds like the FSB & multiplier on the MB is wrongly set.

Take a look at this site
It shows the specs of the 2500+.

It should be running at around 1800 mhz (FSB 166 x 14), just adjust your motherboard's FSB and multiplier to the required value and try to see how you go.

Good luck

Thnaks a lot for that advice, I'll let you know how I get on :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back