Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Advice...Planning To Implement VLANS on our Network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastHackem

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2001
US
Our Network:

Ethernet, Windows NT environment, Cisco Routers, Hubs, Aironet Wireless Radios interconnecting our school district across the city (about 15 schools). Everyone is in VLAN 1 (default). Each school is in its own domain. We have an extended star top.

I need to create a proposal on how VLANS would benefit us over our non-VLAN environment. Please list as many advantages as you can.

Wybnormal - a question about vlan architecture: when I setup VTP and configure a vlan on my core layer3 switch, should I be assigning the vlan interface an ip address at the layer2 switch where the hosts exist, or on the layer3 switch at the other end of the trunk or both?

Also, I am having a bit of difficulty with the management vlan - If I have VLAN1 setup on my L2 switch with an IP of 10.0.3.1, a trunk between my L2 and L3 switches, and VLAN1 on my L3 switch with an IP of 10.0.0.1, shouldn't I be able to telnet the admin vlan ip of my L2 from my L3? I currently can't. Looking at my ip route on the L3 I see :

10.0.0.0/24 is subnetted, 2 subnets
C 10.0.0.0 is directly connected, Vlan1
C 10.0.103.0 is directly connected, Vlan103

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The ip address of the L2 switch is 10.0.3.1/24? Thats a different subnet than the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet where the 10.0.0.1 ip address resides. I would check that.

Also, depending on what encapsulation your are using on the trunk link you may have to indicate the native vlan. IE dot1q or 802.1q trunking requires that the native vlan be specified on the trunk link. normally by default this is VLAN1 but sometimes code versions require you to configure it.

switchport trunk native vlan 1 or something like that.

i would first check the subnet issue and then move on to checking the native vlan setup. Also make sure that you are not pruning vlan 1 from the trunk .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back