Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice on Win2K (non-server os.) with network abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

buehlers

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
US
I have a simple 5 computer network setup over a LAN. Some of you may have read my earlier threads on server probs. If I was to continue running this server as a 2K standalone without installing 2k server is there an easy way i can still setup the 2k basic OS to act as a Server wile requiring the other 4 computers to logon through the 2k basic computer using profiles and scripts to access the LAN. Is there any easy utils or progs that anyone knows of or any other source of easy management.

From what I am reading...you want server capabilities without installing the server OS. The quick answer is no, you can't have centralized server security management without installing the server OS. Why wouldn't you want a dedicated server with 5 workstations? Centralized file management and security along with a single backup location is well worth the effort and money. Ask yourself this; "if you lost all the data on a single workstation, how much would it cost you to recreate that data?" With W2K Pro ( I assume this is what you mean when you say "2K standalone without installing 2k server") you can set folder and file security...to allow others access to whatever...they all need to belong to the same workgroup and have correct TCP/IP settings but you will not get profile scripting capabilities because a workstation doesn't have those capabilities. If you want profiles...install the server. There are no quick and easy programs that will setup a server for you and "manage" the network. Go to your local bookstore and look for the "Dummies" books on the topic you seek...these are excellent books. Microsoft has excellent training and resource materials on their site.

You can use Policy Manager on all the workstations to setup policies for each individual machine...but without a server, you have to setup each individual machine. It'
s a headache to me and setting up a dedicated server provides a single source of complete and total management of both your data and users.

Thanx, that is what I thought and basically knew, My only problem was with the install of the 2k server and 2k ad server. Basically it is just a matter of having to stop being lazy and begin with a completly fresh and new partition setup, I had tried to install both of the server os's to no avail the only thing I can gather from myself and earlier threads I posted is that somehow I have some sort of HD error and unless I start from scratch things wont work too well.

Thnx for the help

What problems were you having during the install?

The problems I was having had to deal with installation of Wink 2k server and Win2k Ad server. Every time I tried to install a second copy of the windows os in conjunction with the standalone Win2k professional either by booting from the cd or from within windows I would get a file missing or corruption error. It was consistent with the two os's and no matter how I try to install it it quits with an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back