Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Advice: need to record page visit [cookies/sessions] for CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzr

Programmer
Nov 20, 2001
US
Please can anyone advise me as to the best way to go about this??
We have a step by step tutorial that is will be on CD. The process is linear but the user can break out of the steps and go to other chapters.
We need to mark all pages they have visited as "you have visited this page before."

I have never used javascript like this since on the web, only server side languages. This is CD so must be local...

Would I just make a unique 'variable' on every page (there are hundreds) and mark the session/cookie with that variable when it's visited?
So if a user comes back - it searches the cookies for the value??
If there, display message?

Is there any way to do this without custom code on every page??

any help would be great! thanks!!!!

Is there any way to do this without custom code on every page??

No. Even if you put the code in a script file, you'd have to include that on every page.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

i figured...

any other input on the best way to go about this??

Even if you used frames, you'd still need code on every page. Basically, becaue you're running locally you have no server-side scripting available to you... which means whatever solution you choose, you'll still have to implement it on every page. There's no getting around this.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back