Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need advice for GPRS mobile set

Status
Not open for further replies.

satellite03

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2003
IN
i want to buy a GPRS enabled mobile phone.i want to use that phone as a modem to my PC for internet browsing. there are many GPRS mobile phones from different companies like samsung,nokia,ericsson etc.

suppose i am interested to buy samsung GPRS mobile handset. they almost have 50 different GPRS handsets (like C100,C110,....)

does it mean higher( or different ) model will give me higherer( different ) browsing speed ? or all of then will give same brwosing speed ?

i want to use my phone for surfing. so does different GPRS handset will give different browsing speed ?

N.B : actually i saw in some phone features they say GPRS 10, GPRS 4 etc etc is written. i thought the phone having feature GPRS 10 will give me faster speed than phone having GPRS 4 . is that true ? i dont know just a wild guess .

plz share your experience and advice me which one would be a good choice to buy.

i will use it for windows 98 operating system.

and also , can u tell whether Nokia 66** GPRS handsets will give me faster speed than samsung C** GPRS sets ?

From my point of view;
Yes, it is true that the GPRS multi slot class 10 devices will give better performance than multi slot class 4. If any device is based on multi slot class 10 then it can have a down link (DL) maximum of 4 time slots (TS) and maximum of 2 time slots in the uplink (UL). Maximum of active time slots can be 5.

For a Class 10
One Up, Four Down, 8-12Kbps Send 32-48Kbps Receive.
Or Two Up, Three Down, 16-24Kbps Send 24-36Kbps Receive.

The performance shall also be a network dependant. If a network based on CS4 coding scheme 4 then you will get the best performance.

Coding Scheme 1 GPRS-code with 9, 05 kHz
Coding Scheme 2 GPRS-code with 13, 4 kHz
Coding Scheme 3 GPRS-code with 15, 6 kHz
Coding Scheme 4 GPRS-code with 21, 4 kHz

All the Nokia devices are based on their own GPRS chipset and Samsung are using QualComm, Agere and Philips chipsets depending on which model. From my experience, Nokia devices are more stable than other devices, also consider SonyEricsson devices.

Hope the information is useful. Best Regards, Ehalaivan Ehan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back