Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice about laptop purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoser

Programmer
May 9, 2002
US
I am a web developer, and in the market for a laptop. I know exactly what I want but do not know which brand is the most reliable. It is important that I get something that won't let me down because I have clients depending on me to do work for them. Right now, Compaq is giving great deals but are they good machines? I heard mixed reviews about them. What about Toshiba or Sony systems?

And most of them come with Windows XP now. Does anyone know if Windows XP comes with a personal web server? Does it come with the home version or do I need to get the professional version? I need it to test scripts.

Any advice???

After My weekend with Compaq, you can have them...!!!
I bought a laptop & a desktop from Best Buy, both units have/had XP home on them.
I removed XP to install Win2K prof. I can't get drivers to work on Laptop. "Customer Service" says they only support the operating system that comes installed on the PC.
I can't find drivers on Compaq's site that will work and 2 Customer Service people were no help..... I'm done with Compaq.....

thanks for letting me know. i had heard from a friend that compaqs were like that. i will definetly not get a compaq. thanks for the urls.

Most laptops are delivered with XP home - there is no web server with that. You need XP Pro to get the web/ftp servers.
On the other hand Apache should work fine.
On a purely personal note, I like Sony machines - and they have firewire interfaces.

Kim Leece.

Had a Compaq Presario 1260 laptop new in Feb 99, the charging circuit s*** the bed a year and a half later, Compaq was no help, just told me to cycle the battery, or download a BIOS update (neither helped). Then they sold off the warranty to GE Zurich, who reportedly sabotages laptops to avoid warranty claims (reports of them breaking LCDs when the display was not the problem). So I diagnosed it to the motherboard and gave it away to charity. Bought a Sony VAIO with AMD 1 GHz a year ago, love it, very reliable.

My business use is same as yours, I run Apache on XP Home (Apache is free and unlimited users, but XP Home limits to 5 simultaneous connections, should be OK for development). The thing I like about these Sony models (FXA47) is that they have battery, floppy and CD drive all integral at once. A 2nd battery is optional and can replace the floppy drive. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Got it narrowed down to a few choices.

I went to apaches website to take a look at that server you were talking about but I am not sure which one I should be looking for. Do they have a personal web server on the site? If so, where?

I have a compaq laptop, I have been certified for 12 years on Compaq. Let's just say "if you plan your purchase, it will work out just fine." It is not the brand but the fact you do your homework and setup your laptop to do what you want.
The compaq evo series laptops are the best on the market. However, I would look at the Sony viao with a large screen for graphics. Get at least a gig of Ram for performance out of a laptop.And one can never have a big enough hard drive.

Good luck,
John
Co-founder

Sorry, I forgot to add.

Compaq Presario is the Home div. of Compaq.

Noone should buy a home pc to do a Business job.

Look into the EVO side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back