Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need administrators p/w while repairing file in recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meridiangirlie

Technical User
Nov 7, 2004
GB
My Neighbour gets this error message on bootup. C:\windows\system32\c_1252.nls is missing or corrupt

I am trying to recover the file with the XP CD using the 'R' (repair) function in the recovery console and all was looking good until they asked for the administrators password and she has no idea what it is. Have tried just pressing return, words like password and administrator and admin but to no avail. Any ideas how I can proceed?
Thanks

system 32 error
thread779-1292570

Can you boot to Safe Mode? Can you load the Last Known Good Configuration from the Safe Mode screen?

You might be able to make use of BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD).

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

No cant reboot to safe mode or last good configuration..Have tried already before I took this action...............
Thanks

Don't care about having to download updates. no probs , but my neighbour doesn't want to lose her hard drive. thinking about maybe adding it to my PC as additional drive and taking backup and going from there, although your suggestion does sound a good one..will look into it...
Thanks again

If you can get the computer to boot to the command prompt using the cd, you could copy the errant file (it's a national language support file) from your computer onto a floppy and onto your friends computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back