Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need administrator priviledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlav

Technical User
Oct 23, 2003
JM
Not logged in as Admin on my win2K system. How do I assign admin priviledges?

runas /user:domain\administrator cmd

will ask u for administrator pw and if provided starts a command prompt with admin priviliges

I typed /user:domain\administrator cmd at the Start-Run command prompt and got error ' cannot find the file '/user:domain\administrator cmd or one of its components. Make sure the path and file name are correct.....'
Trying to install a software which requires admin privileges.

Was it a typo or did you not include the runas statement as shown in Lemon13's post?

runas /user:domain\administrator cmd

Did not include runas. Tried again , got command console, 2 passwords (logon and administrator) did not work. No characters appeared when typed passwords. A message appeared but the screen went before I could read messages. Application still won't install. Isn't there an option using Start-Settings-Control Panel.........?

with domain is ur w2k pc ment, so if ur server is myserver type
runas /user:myserver\administrator cmd

to get a helpscreen type runas /?

After entering the runas command the console screen disappeared from the computer screen but I found if in the task bar with the prompt after the computer name. How do I activate the setup.exe file from the command prompt? I am not using a server, just my PC.

The runasuser link gives a 'page cannot be found error'. I got the file at I installed and ran the file. After entering user name, password and domain another section asks to tick 'Embed Target File in new Executable' and 'Command Line Switches'. Don't know what these mean. Is the domain name the computer name?

just leave domain name blank, you don't need any command line switches and if you choose the 'Embed Target File in new Executable' option - you get just that - a new .exe file which will run with admin credentials you supplied. Otherwiae it will overwrite the current .exe file.

Selected executable file and entered user name and password. Clicked 'Continue', asks for 'Embed Target File.....' etc, in 'File Type Specific Settings' window. Clicked 'Continue' error message says 'You have not entered name for new executable....' Still can't run the executable file. When I enter user name, password and click 'Continue' what should I do next?

You have to enter a name for the new executable (eg, test.exe). It will then take you to next page, and allow you to compile - producing the new exe, which you can then run. if you chose embed, the old exe is embedded in the new, otherwise its created separately (so new one will 'call' the old) - this is slightly different to what i wrote above (memory failing in old age! I've just been through the 'process' to check)

Thanks for the explanation. A new executable was created. Program can't install because I still don't have admin privilege. Maybe I did not use the admin password. How can I find admin information on my PC?

If you don't have an administrator account/password you can't (you can't anyway - but if you can log on as an administrator you can reset any other password on the computer, including other admin accounts). So basically you need to log on with an administrator account. Though I'm a bit confused - as you must have installed 'runasuser' - which you shouldn't be able to do from a 'normal' user (though you probably could as a power user). Who set up your machine?

I installed the OS. I did a test to see if I had admin rights and I do have the rights. I right clicked 'Start' and 'Open All Users' was in the menu list. This is the first time I'm having a privilege issue when running a
Setup.exe file. Will pass this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back