Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a Workstation Identifier program

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBird308

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2011
US
I am working in a hospital and have SEVERAL hundred computers in the building. I am looking for a workstation on my network that no one has a clue where it whent. I have the unit name and even the IP Adress but that tells me nothing about where the unit is phsically. It shows as being logged into last week but is now in hibernation as i cannot Remote into (or ping) the unit.

I used to use a workstation identifier program that could be pushed to a sleeping computer that would make the computer whistle (through the speakers) and flash a screen saying "Call MrBird @ extension ####" on the screen, until someone would turn off the program, kinda like an Alarm clock.

However i lost the only flashdrive that had that tool on it. Does anyone know of any tool that would work like the one described? Or at least tells any user that walks by to tell someone in I.T.

cdogg -
the organization had been mainframe based, and as PC's replaced terminals, they got the terminal's ID - A111 or similar, and the local Printers got a P111 style identifier. The first email was mainframe based, and the number of PC's just kind of grew, and inertia kept the naming system. I came from outside the organization, then as Lotus Notes was selected to replace both mainframe and POP3 email, and suggested the change, which took place along with the email conversion - with a few tweaks to my original format, it happened, and it has continued. Too logical not to. Servers originally had fanciful names, but now they too are named systematically so you can tell what they do from their name. Network printers and MFD's have a name that tells the building, floor, make and model. Life is good!

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back